Kosher CV15S carb flooding

Gc222

New User
Kohler CV15S ran good last year. Problem has been getting progressively worse and now is unusable. Originally would run rough and blow black smoke for a bit and then run fine after running rough for 5 minutes. Now I can get it to start, it will run for 5 seconds and then will shut off unless I turn the fuel selector off then it will run until the bowl runs out of fuel but I can keep it running by turning then fuel on and off periodically.

I’ve cleaned the carb, replaced with a new carb and gaskets when cleaning didn’t work, same issue with both carbs, replaced the fuel pump and gaskets, replaced most of the fuel lines and fuel filter. Changed the oil, didn’t seem like there was fuel in it/it was at the correct oil level.

With the Airbox off after you start it if you look into the carb right as it shuts down you can see fuel blow past the butterfly’s. I’ll try to attach a video.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

If that engine has a compression release on the camshaft, spit-back into the intake is probably normal as the engine spins down to a stop. When the compression release starts working again as the engine slows down, the intake valve is held open for part of the compression stroke, allowing fuel to blow back through the carburetor.

Have you tried to run it on a test tank directly to the carburetor, with the machine's fuel lines, tank and pump out of the equation? Of course you will have to pinch or plug the existing fuel line.

When you did clean the carburetor, you did blow backward through the fuel inlet pipe from the needle valve seat, didn't you? A bit of trash there can cause both flooding (black smoke) and/or starving for fuel.

If that engine has a compression release on the camshaft, spit-back into the intake is probably normal as the engine spins down to a stop. When the compression release starts working again as the engine slows down, the intake valve is held open for part of the compression stroke, allowing fuel to blow back through the carburetor.

Have you tried to run it on a test tank directly to the carburetor, with the machine's fuel lines, tank and pump out of the equation? Of course you will have to pinch or plug the existing fuel line.

When you did clean the carburetor, you did blow backward through the fuel inlet pipe from the needle valve seat, didn't you? A bit of trash there can cause both flooding (black smoke) and/or starving for fuel.
I did blow back through the fuel inlet, but I’ve also tried 2 carbs, one brand new. I’ll try a test tank tomorrow

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back