New tractor without DEF as a selling point?

Fritz Maurer

It was a Mahindra commercial on my YouTube feed. There was a list of features but non-DEF was all that I saw cuz I didn’t pause it fast enough, and can’t backtrack the commercials to see it again.
How is a non-DEF engine legal in today’s technological climate? I thought it might be a weight thing , but there are John Deere fairway mowers with as little as 1.4 liter Yanmar power plants , equipped with DEF.

It was a Mahindra commercial on my YouTube feed. There was a list of features but non-DEF was all that I saw cuz I didn’t pause it fast enough, and can’t backtrack the commercials to see it again.
How is a non-DEF engine legal in today’s technological climate? I thought it might be a weight thing , but there are John Deere fairway mowers with as little as 1.4 liter Yanmar power plants , equipped with DEF.
i mentioned on a thread a few months ago about technology is advancing to do away with DEF and i was told i did not know what i was talking because he had not heard of it.

I dunno the technology but Mahindra spent 30 million dollars to get rid of DPF (diesel particulate filter) and regen. I doubt DEF will be around forever as well but for now I do know that Mahindra Tier 4 engines do not need DPF.

I have heard (don't know if it's true) that 750+ horsepower tractors are exempt from DEF requirements. That is why there is a push toward the super big tractors. That certainly would not include the Mahindra. But part of the discussion.

There was a list of features but non-DEF was all that I saw
Screen shot from Mahindra website, no mention of DEF, only no DPF.......

1712328509573.png

i mentioned on a thread a few months ago about technology is advancing to do away with DEF and i was told i did not know what i was talking because he had not heard of it.
X2. I heard months ago that Ford was working on non DEF engines. I heard it from the same Ford dealer that told me about the upcoming DEF years before it was a thing. i was also told I didnt know what I was talking about. I put off buying a new pickup until DEF is gone.

I have since seen that commercial twice more, I was ready to pause, but the list is omitted. The original went by so fast it could very well have been DPF.

There are engine size limits, both under and over a certain hp that doesn’t need def.

You might be confusing dpf with def, as well. They have so many different systems and rules and acronyms. It’s hard to keep up.

I think they are working on tier 5 regulations now? So it will never be good enough, and it will never be complicated enough to satisfy the busy bodies.

I like cleaner air so some measures were a good idea, but I also like things that actually work. It seems the current mindset is to meet certain narrow minded goals without looking at the big picture. Doesn’t producing, packaging, using, and adding the power robbing items of def actually make more pollution than the very small amount of pollution it removes from the emissions? There should be some sense to it all for it to really be important…… it should actually improve things in the real world, big picture. Not just be busybody. Some common sense.

Paul

What are they doing in place of the DEF? How are they handling it?

The John Deere 5045E (45 hp) that I bought new in 2021 in non DEF although it does regenerate depending on how it's used. It's just under 200 hours now and has only regenerated once at 100 hours which is mandatory, I think. You just don't want to let it idle at low rpm's or start and stop it without warming it up. I think the new ones of similar size don't even require regeneration
.IMG_3905.jpeg

The DEF and DPF are doing two different and independent things I believe. The DEF selective-catalyst-reduction uses a catalyst and the DEF to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions, while the DPF physically traps particulate emissions (soot).

MY JD 317G CTL has a 4 cylinder turbocharged Yanmar engine. It has a two part DPF muffler. I believe one part is filter and one part is a catalyst. It uses no DEF.
I recently saw one of the equipment auctions in Florida where there were many new JD TLB's. They had a tiny, I think Yanmar engine in them which, if I heard correctly, were small enough that they were exempt from DEF.

Depends on the HP range , how stringent the Tier IV regulations are .

Under 25HP can be achieved , for now . With a well designed engine .

There is a few groups however pushing all electric everything . They want every HP range to meet the strictest specs .

Emission limits per year and HP

Attachments

• IMG_7239.jpeg
    IMG_7239.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7238.jpeg
    IMG_7238.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7240.jpeg
    IMG_7240.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 64
Fritz.
My 2019
20221205_112229-1.jpg
20221205_112229-1.jpg
Kubota L 3560 uses a particle filter, No def

The John Deere 5045E (45 hp) that I bought new in 2021 in non DEF although it does regenerate depending on how it's used. It's just under 200 hours now and has only regenerated once at 100 hours which is mandatory, I think. You just don't want to let it idle at low rpm's or start and stop it without warming it up. I think the new ones of similar size don't even require regeneration
.View attachment 65859
My 2022 5067e has nothing. Just put diesel in and go.

Engines of less than 75 horsepower have significantly less stringent emissions requirements. If I read the charts correctly, they're allowed roughly ten times as much NOx as bigger machines. (SCR/DEF is used to reduce NOx.) Since SCR systems typically only remove about 90 percent of NOx, it stands to reason it shouldn't be difficult to make an engine that meets the sub-75 horsepower requirements without SCR.

Non-road diesel emission standards

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back