Next McCormick thresher video....

I always loved how the band cutters on the McCormick threshers had those raptor claws on the front. No other thresher that' I've seen had them - it makes them look pretty vicious when running. In the late 1990's and early 2000's when I was a kid, when I got tired from pitching sheaves I would walk up the steps on the side elevator and sit on top of the thresher while my mother and grandfather kept pitching sheaves. I remember looking down over top of the infeed and seeing those claws going crazy right below me.

Thinking back, I'm not so sure my grandfather and mother would win any 'Parent of the Year' awards for letting their kids climb up and sit atop a running thresher, but we survived...

Last edited:
I always loved how the band cutters on the McCormick threshers had those raptor claws on the front. No other thresher that' I've seen had them - it makes them look pretty vicious when running. In the late 1990's and early 2000's when I was a kid, when I got tired from pitching sheaves I would walk up the steps on the side elevator and sit on top of the thresher while my mother and grandfather kept pitching sheaves. I remember looking down over top of the infeed and seeing those claws going crazy right below me.

Thinking back, I'm not so sure my grandfather and mother would win any 'Parent of the Year' awards for letting their kids climb up and sit atop a running thresher, but we survived...
I can still recall riding up the elevator on a bale. My cousin up in the mow would pull me off at the top & put me in a hay bale "fort". I had tons of fun up there & none of that would pass the jurisprudence of the contemporary helicopter parent. Heaven forbid I fell over the side into the loose hay mow below. Heck, we used to go diving off of there for fun!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mike

Did Dion make a lot of separators? I've only seen a few examples.

Mike
Very popular here in Canada. I've always been told that the Dions were the Cadillac of threshers. The 'Downes' brothers Tom mentioned are two brothers who live near me and are thresher connoisseurs: They buy all makes, rebuild them, and ship them all over to the Amish & Mennonites. I've been in their thresher boneyard - must be 30 or so threshers back there they use for parts. Dion is their thresher of choice and apparently what all the Amish/Mennonites want. Those brothers still use a couple of Dions for all their grain as well.

There were a lot around our area ( Ontario) I am guessing because they were made in Quebec. Dad had at least three of there seperators thru the years. He claimed there all steel machines were the best threshing machines made? We barn thrashed right up until 1975 or so. When Dad sold the home place he couldnt bear to let the Dion machine go at the farm sale, but due to lack of storage he later sold it to the Downs brothers who are well known in this area for buying thrashing machines, binders etc. I believe they sell to a lot of mennonites who by what I have heard value the Dion machines pretty highly. Dion is still going strong in the forage business.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back