One Wire Alternator Money Question

Dellbertt

I did a search for 12v one wire alternator and came up with many different prices from $20 (1980 Honda) - $80+. Is the Delco 10SI still the go to alternator for the conversion or is there a less expensive one just as good and reliable.
Has anyone used the mini.

Last edited:
I did a search for 12v one wire alternator and came up with many different prices from $20 (1980 Honda) - $80+. Is the Delco 10SI still the go to alternator for the conversion or is there a less expensive one just as good and reliable.
Has anyone used the mini.
Dp the Delco 10si 3 wire it is cheaper and works well and you don't have to bring the RPM up to high rpm to work

I've used or helped install the 10SI, the knock-offs of the 10SI, and a knock-off mini. All worked well. As Old notes: The one-wire alternators work well and are a nice, simple install, but they require a fairly high initial excitation RPM: If your old tractor is just idling and you don't rev it up very much, sometimes you have to remember to rev it up for a bit so it'll charge. Whether or not low RPM could be a problem depends on your crank pulley diameter (bigger = better) and alternator pulley diameter (smaller = better). I'd say the standard one-wire is just fine for 70-80% of conversions.

The three wire is also simple to install (just an extra couple of wires, one running though the ignition switch) and because it's externally-excited, doesn't require a certain RPM to achieve excitation.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back