RTU oil filter oil leak

montidale

I filled up the crank case on my RTU with oil the other day. Went out side to the garage and found oil on the floor. It is leaking around the brass (copper) washer on the oil filter. It’s a brand new washer and I tightened it as tight as I dare. Does anybody have a solution on fixing the leak. I’m thinking about pulling off the filter and annealing the copper washer and see if that helps.

Did the end of the canister get warped or dinged a little where that washer mates to it? Something to check out while you have it off.
Maybe a fiber washer of some sort would help.
Just throwing out ideas here.

I have had that happen have had to use some silicone. Could be some dirt or a damaged spot.

I filled up the crank case on my RTU with oil the other day. Went out side to the garage and found oil on the floor. It is leaking around the brass (copper) washer on the oil filter. It’s a brand new washer and I tightened it as tight as I dare. Does anybody have a solution on fixing the leak. I’m thinking about pulling off the filter and annealing the copper washer and see if that helps.
The first thing that I would try, is as you just suggested, anneal the copper washer.

They get pulled in over time and sometimes get a small crack in them if tightened too much through the years. I believe I used a copper washer on mine with a nylon one.

I annealed the washer last night by heating it, cherry red, and quenching it in water. Then I smeared a little oil resistant silicone on the washer. Tighten down the bolt. Cleaned off the excess silicone. Now I will let it sit for a day and pour oil back in and see if it leaks. . I didn’t want to put on a spin on filter because I want to leave it original. A fiber washer will probably be my next option. If this doesn’t work. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Have seen a few of older Z's that have a square piece of rubber tire tube to make seal. Copper washer wil only compress so much. Doubt new copper is soft like original. I usually use on off an scarp U.

I didn’t want to put on a spin on filter because I want to leave it original.

Can't blame you for that. Hope your repair works.

If you do decide to convert it, there are spin on filters which are longer and more closely resemble the original canister. See my reply to Alan K.'s thread below.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back