Vise Location on Workbench

I bolted mine to a short board, recessed the nuts so it sits flat on the bench and use a couple of short bar clamps to hold it to the bench. Works well for me, and you can take it with you for remote work. I did my bench grinder the same way.
I like this idea.

Glenn F.

I bolted mine to a short board, recessed the nuts so it sits flat on the bench and use a couple of short bar clamps to hold it to the bench. Works well for me, and you can take it with you for remote work. I did my bench grinder the same way.
My daughter has a small machinists vise on her luthier's' bench mounted on a piece of 3/4 inch plywood. There is a row of dog holes near the front edge, so the vise can go anywhere. Bolting through the dog holes with nuts and washers on the underside makes it easy to move with no extra holes. The dogs are similar to these, which work for a woodworking bench.

In the garage, I just drill through the bench top and bolt the vise down. My grinder is on a board too, which can be convenient.

I like this idea.

Glenn F.
IMG_4517.jpeg
My setup. Nice to be able to clear the bench for big stuff.

My bench has the left end in a corner and the right end is in the open. I put my vise in the center, but I think on the right corner would be handier. I use mine for some heavy duty work. I'm getting ready to reseal five cylinders on my Case 580K backhoe. My shop is 40 X 50 and not big enough, and I'm retired

I am trying to determine the best location for a vise on my 10’ long workbench (woodworking shop). As you can see there is a wall on each end. Building is 10 x 12 so I obviously won’t be doing any large projects. It needs to be very useful without breaking up my bench space too much. As always, your input is highly valued.

Thank you,
Glenn F.
My vice has a swivel base so I put it on the bench corner so I can turn it to face front or to the side and there is clearance for a long item to stick below the bench top in either position.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back