Will a belarus 250AS t25, 250as glow plug resistor go bad?

captmike03

New User
Belarus 250AS stopped cranking. The glow plug resistor got real hot when trying to turn the motor over. Enough to smoke and smell. Is this a ground problem or will the part go bad?

Belarus 250AS stopped cranking. The glow plug resistor got real hot when trying to turn the motor over. Enough to smoke and smell. Is this a ground problem or will the part go bad?
Welcome to the forums.

Not Belarus specific but a resistor will get hot during normal operation. Yes, they can go bad, but I would say they open (break) and won't carry current when they go bad. You could have a ground problem if a wire has shorted somewhere along its length. You could have a glow plug issue.

I don't have a wiring diagram, but I don't see the glow plug system stopping the starter from turning the engine (cranking). The engine might start hard without the heat from the glow plug, especially if it is cool out or compression is low.

Not familiar with the 250, but my 405 has an indicator resistor in the dash to simulate glow plug action. It requires a holding the key short of the start position to allow the plugs to warm up before engaging the starter. So you may have a key switch failure or incorrect wiring.

Reactions: KBS
The resistor tests closed with my multimeter and no breaks or discoloration is indicated on the coil. The resistor was somewhat loose (not tight) to the frame.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back