Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

F2 raddle chain idlers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pea_grower
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: F2 raddle chain idlers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do you guys maintain the raddle chain idlers on an F2? Usually, I pull the shield off, in front of it. This year I just parked it under a shed without removing.

Yesterday, I tried to roll the thresher, and the slip clutch was popping. One of my idlers was frozen to the big spacer behind it.

Again, how do you maintain those idlers?

centash
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: F2 raddle chain idlers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All I ever did was remove the raddle cover down in front of the chain. The clutch
should not slip even with the iders stuck, the chain should just slide over them .
They do need to roll when operating of course, or they will wear on one side. I
would check for another obstruction holding the chain....maybe something jammed
under the false bottom or behind the cob shield.....

Ben

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: F2 raddle chain idlers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To be honest, I only ever had that trap open once over the years and that was to replace a busted wood raddle on one of the Fs, and Ive run 4 F, one M and one L
combine since 1980.

Need to open up the L one of these days soon, as my raddle locked up. I expect something not right under there.

Paul

XT180
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: F2 raddle chain idlers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you happen to run corn last fall ??I'm guessing that you've got a corn cob stuck towards the walker end of the raddle Sad

pea_grower
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: F2 raddle chain idlers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No corn. Vining cowpeas so I got some dirt in it

XT180
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: F2 raddle chain idlers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could there be VINES wrapped at the walker/drive end of the raddle ??

cornerpost
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: F2 raddle chain idlers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad and I used to have Gleaners. Had an F2 that broke rear shaft twice. We were about to have sprockets bored for a bigger shaft when almost new 6620 Deere became available. Dad had a K, two Fs and the F2. The F2 was the one with longer back end. Never broke the raddle shat on older model Gleaners. Twice on the F2. I was the skinny person and spent quality time inside combine hoping to meet the engineers who thought a 7/8 inch shaft would do where a one inch would easily have gone.

centash
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: F2 raddle chain idlers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, there are some engineers with whom I would like a long chat!

Ben

XT180
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: F2 raddle chain idlers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're twice broken shaft had underlying issues IMO Wink

cornerpost
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: F2 raddle chain idlers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could have been varieties of corn grown those years. Bearings were nice and smooth. Could have been something about shafts of a certain vintage. Just telling what happened and what our response was going to be.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters