Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

getting the brake band out

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: getting the brake band out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

on the 4 rim bolts.. When you take them off you will see 2 of them are just BOLTS.. TWO of them are CAMS,, you twist the bolt head to rotate it 180 degrees and rotate the LOCK outward to the rim.. HOLD and tighten the nut... Its a CAM design to wedge the blocks to the rim.

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: getting the brake band out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To reinstall, put the two straight bolts and clamps onto the hub at 2 and 11 oclock position... put a floor jack on the drawbar and lower the hub 1 inch below the rim height.. Roll the tire over and set around the hub, where you want it to set......... jack up the floor jack and let the rim hang on the two stationary clamps.... now you can install the two CAMS at 5 and 8 oclock positons.. ROTATE the bolts so the push OUT ( there is an arrow on the head)... and tighten the nuts.

Robert12345
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: getting the brake band out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SO IF I LEAVE THE TWO BOLTS IN I CAN ROTATE THE TWO CAMS SO THEY NO LONGER GRAB THE RIM THEN TAKE OUT THE TWO BOLTS AND REMOVE THE LESS HEAVY TIRE AND RIM AND DEAL WITH THE WEIGHTED HUB BY ITSELF?, IVE SENT FOR MY MANUALS BUT WHAY DID ALLIS CHALMERSS MAKE THE WHEEL ATTACHMENT IN THIS WAY, WHY CAMSS? INSEAD OF 4 BOLTS? THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE, THE ONE THING THAT KEEPS ME FROM DIVING IN IS THE CRIBBING AND HOISTS NEEDED TO REMOVE THE CAST IRON DRIVE SECTION. IM GOING TO TO PUT OUT FEELERS TO SEE IF I CAN FIND SOMEONE IN WILL COUNTY, OR GRUNDY COUNTY ILLINOIS WHO WOULD DO THE BRAKES AND HAD WORKED ON THIS MODEL BEFORE.

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: getting the brake band out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yep... rotate the two cam bolts to loosen, then take them out.. the other two can stay on the HUB.... there are some aftermarket rims that have a LOOP welded to the rim to stick the bolt thru and no cams. They used them on some International tractors.. Dont know why ALLIS did the cam.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: getting the brake band out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rim from the Farmall A and B will bolt right on. I know because I have done so in the past and with out looking to be sure I think one of my Cs have one on it

Robert12345
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: getting the brake band out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

im being overly cautious dont wnt the tire and rim comeing off til im ready.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: getting the brake band out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Position the 2 non cam mounts at the top and the 2 cam ones at the bottom. That way it will hang on the two top ones till you either rotate the center or use a pry bar to lift it off. BTDT many times

Robert12345
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: getting the brake band out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks im now going to ask the railroad switch engine crew if i can take a couple old ties for cribbing ive got your picture of how to chain it up. can you give me some insight of whats in the part im takeing off, my brake drum is in there and slides back and forth, key way is missing. i thought i would see a bolt hole when the drum slid out of sight, supposedly ther is a bolt you put in from the bottom to hold the drum? i didnt see a bolt with the drum in the catalogue/ what if its broke off can i tack weld it. any one know the size of the bolt. going to borrow an engine hoist that dhould handle it.the piece not the trsctor

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: getting the brake band out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keep the good tire on the ground. Block under the center case ( differential / transmission).. you can also put a block under the square tube sticking out both sides that the brake pedals bolt to. Take the tire and rim off the hub. If the hub is loose on the shaft ( wobble), then take the BIG nut off and remove the hub also. If the hub is TOO TIGHT to move, leave it on.. TAke out the 4 nuts holding the FINAL DRIVE CASE ( left or right) to the DIFFERENTIAL/ TRANSMISSION case.. Rig up the engine puller or overhead chainfall to the Final Case.. bump the case outward with a hammer and it will slide off. The TOP SHAFT that has the brake drum on it is splined and slides INTO the Differential. When the case is off, you will be able to reach inside and move the brake drum.. The shaft has a KEY WAY in it.. The brake drum has a KEY WAY in it. There is a key that holds the two together. There is a square head bolt in the edge of the brake drum that you screw in to put the drum in a bind so it will not slide sideways off the key.. The bolt is probably a 3/8 NC thread. You tighten it thru the 1 inch hole in the underside of the final drive case.

Robert12345
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: getting the brake band out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ill let you know how i made out thanks for help

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters