Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Delco Remy TO30 Distributor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DC1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Delco Remy TO30 Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had posted a problem with one of my TO30s the other day where the Delco-Remy froze up. After getting a window in the rain here in Louisiana, finally got to pull it.

Attached are some pictures. Before cleaning and after. Mainly because I had never seen the inside of this part and probably others havent either. I really wanted to try and save it. Heck its been there since 1953. Pretty damn tough piece of equipment if you think about what it does.

When I pulled it, I dropped the distributor off my other 30 after inspecting the gear timing gear on the motor with a camera (had a few shiny teeth but they were all there). Rough timed it and it fired up fine. Seems to be back the way she was before.

I cleaned up the one I removed and will drop it in the green 30 today between rains.

My take away from all this and it just my short coming but when I got this tractor 4 years ago I cranked and ran on the first start so basically being a if it aint broke guru, I never even knew this distributor had an oil reserve, so I never checked it.

Anyway, here are some pics.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Delco Remy TO30 Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might want to check top bushing in the base, for extra clearance when you put it back together.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Delco Remy TO30 Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like the top bushing got pretty dry.

If you are still running points, it is essential the bushing have minimal clearance. Any side play and the points will not stay set. Improper point gap or a varying gap will cause strange problems with the performance and reduce point life.

Did you take the centrifugal advance apart and lube it? Common for them to freeze up from rust and lack of oil.

DC1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Delco Remy TO30 Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steve I checked lateral play and it still fits like a glove when I put it back together. I didn't take the advance apart but was not frozen. I could move it. I still greased it through. Dumb question, but I looked at using some of my wd40 silicone to get inside the mechanism but just used grease. Would the silicone be of any benefit?

DC1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Delco Remy TO30 Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks J. It's not loose at all. Looks like any metal
lose is below the shaft going through the bushing.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Delco Remy TO30 Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I take them apart and just use oil on the inner shaft.

Grease will sling out, and it will be stiff in cold weather. You want the advance to operate free and quick.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters