Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1968 MF 165 power steering problems - valve is stuck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hgossett
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: 1968 MF 165 power steering problems - valve is stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello, I am currently trying to get the power steering on a 1968 MF 165 tractor with a Perkins diesel too work. I replaced the PS pump and the PS cylinder along with the hoses as they were all worn out. I bled the system the best I could with the tractor off as I was trying to fix the fuel leaks in the tank.

When I got it back together and turned the tractor on to bleed the system with the motor running (tractor was on jack stands) it would turn left easily and when you turned the wheels right (past the centerline of the tires) it would violently snatch the steering wheel all the way to the right and seemed to be hydro locked as you could not turn the steering back to the left once this occurred (the PS pump would also whine when this happened).

While I was adjusting the linkages to see if I could find a problem I notice that the turnbuckle attached to the PS cylinder control valve was not moving at all and appears to stuck in the in position. I yanked on the linkage that it is pinned into but it will not move.

The PS cylinder is a brand new part. Has anyone had this happen before? Also is there any tips to get this valve to break loose?

Thanks for help everyone

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 MF 165 power steering problems - valve is stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What kind of failure did the original cylinder have?

Possibly some pieces of the old cylinder are caught in the directional valve if it had a mechanical
failure.

hgossett
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 MF 165 power steering problems - valve is stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Steve@Advance wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:45:00 05/31/21) What kind of failure did the original cylinder have?

Possibly some pieces of the old cylinder are caught in the directional valve if it had a mechanical
failure.

The tractor didnt have PS for a long time bc the seal on the pump was bad and it leaked all the fluid out and so I just assumed the cylinder was bad as well since it had been running dry for so long. It only got used a couple times a year so it wasnt really priority. But The new cylinder also came with a new directional valve mounted on it already.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 MF 165 power steering problems - valve is stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would suspect a defective directional valve.

One thing you could try, go ahead and put the weight on the wheels, see how it does under actual
working condition.

I've had those run away steering wheels, especially on the Orbitrol systems. Scary stuff!

hgossett
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 MF 165 power steering problems - valve is stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Steve@Advance wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:49:45 06/01/21) I would suspect a defective directional valve.

One thing you could try, go ahead and put the weight on the wheels, see how it does under actual
working condition.

I've had those run away steering wheels, especially on the Orbitrol systems. Scary stuff!

Yeah I found out something was wrong when I was test driving it and it snatched the steering wheel out of my hand thankfully I was going slow lol

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 MF 165 power steering problems - valve is stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a control valve on another system get hung up, and it suddenly spun full to one side. I wouldn't mess with it. They are always characterized as a very tough rebuild. There are various control motors available.

Pycoed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 MF 165 power steering problems - valve is stuck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AFAIK that is a similar system to the one on my Zetor 7045, whereby the action of moving the steering arm activates a valve on a ram that "assists" with moving the steering arm.
The length of the ram when at steering centre position is CRITICAL! On the Zetor, if you get the adjustment wrong it whips the steering wheel out of you hands & violently oscillates back & fro. Mkae very small adjustments to the length of the assist ram until you can get it to a "neutral position" then try full left lock versus fulkl right lock & see if both full lock positions are equally distant from centre. Make VERY small adjustments to finalise the centre position. Measure the final length, in case you have to remove it in future.

PS
Hurts you thumbs, doesn't it?Smile)

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters