Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

970 noise/vibration when steering with PTO on.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
petebert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: 970 noise/vibration when steering with PTO on. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

970 with powershift. I was mowing hay and noticed there was a grindy kind of rhythmic noise in the turn-arounds. I could feel it in the steering wheel and at my feet. It would smooth out after going straight for a while and come back at every turn around. When I turned the PTO off it immediately smoothed out.

chuck machinist
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 970 noise/vibration when steering with PTO on. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could you be a little more specific, a pull behind mower, or hitch mounted? CM

LPakiz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 970 noise/vibration when steering with PTO on. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

petebert wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:38:04 06/04/21) 970 with powershift. I was mowing hay and noticed there was a grindy kind of rhythmic noise in the turn-arounds. I could feel it in the steering wheel and at my feet. It would smooth out after going straight for a while and come back at every turn around. When I turned the PTO off it immediately smoothed out.

It could be a universal joint in the PTO driveline.
Check them all for looseness/movement. If nothing shows up, run it for a bit, 15 minutes at least. Many times with a faulty joint, one of the 4 bearings will be hotter than the other 3.

petebert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 970 noise/vibration when steering with PTO on. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a New Holland 499 swingarm haybine, so no PTO shaft. A hydraulic pump attaches to your PTO. That's why I figure it was tractor related. I was not able to duplicate the noise/vibration without the haybine attached to the tractor.

097Clint
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 970 noise/vibration when steering with PTO on. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pete,mine did that when the suction hose was getting bad.when I turned,it would collapse and the pump would cavitate.might not be your, problem,but could be a place to look.
Clint

Mike Fitz
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 970 noise/vibration when steering with PTO on. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could it be something in the mowers hydraulic drive that changes when you turn,sending a vibration back through the tractor? perhaps some kind of bypass valve chatter?

petebert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: 970 noise/vibration when steering with PTO on. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm going to check the mower more. I ran the round baler yesterday and the 970 seemed to do fine.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters