Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Who makes a good repair manual for a VUE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Who makes a good repair manual for a VUE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chilton or Haynes?
Factory Service manual?
Haynes Red Line manual? Are they different names for the same type of manual or is there a difference in the level of information?
TY
SDE

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes a good repair manual for a VUE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The factory manual is likely the most comprehensive, but may also be using vocabulary and special tools at the dealership level. Haynes, Motor (a brand) and Chilton all provide similar, but not identical information. Several have options for digital access and or USB based content. Jim

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes a good repair manual for a VUE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is a VUE ?

Wisconsin Cowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes a good repair manual for a VUE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty sure it was a model of a Saturn car.

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes a good repair manual for a VUE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks (if you are right !) ;^)

wore out
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes a good repair manual for a VUE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-SDE wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:09:14 06/10/21) Chilton or Haynes?
Factory Service manual?
Haynes Red Line manual? Are they different names for the same type of manual or is there a difference in the level of information?
TY
SDE

https://www.alldata.com/diy/en is as good as it gets at the consumer level.

With a discount code you can find on the 'net the cost will be down around $20 for a year's subscription for your specific vehicle.

If you sign up as an Autozone rewards member you can access similar repair info for many (but not all) vehicles for FREE.

SDE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes a good repair manual for a VUE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried google on my phone to find some info and the screen is too small to see any detail. I had a CD for a ATV and I found that I needed to make too many trips back to the house to get the info. off the computer. So I would prefer a book. The clerk at O'REILLY'S said that one company now owns both Haynes and Chilton. Probably a wash as to which one is better. I read some reviews and it seems that the people that are doing simple things, gave good reviews and that the people that were getting into the more complex jobs weren't happy with the manuals. That is why I thought that I would pose the question here.
TY
SDE

Roger Tomfohrde
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Who makes a good repair manual for a VUE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Chiltons is ok but any Chevy manual will get you the info for them if you stay in the year range. What is it doing or not doing? I am just retiring the one my wife drives after 387000 miles and moving to a 2005 which I am prepping right now.

SDE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Who makes a good repair manual for a VUE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

07 with a 4 cylinder. Blows white smoke out the exhaust. I'm going to replace the head gasket. I ordered a manual and it will be in town around 8 AM tomorrow.

The drivers window control is intermittent also. I might swap it out with another and see if that changes it.

jimg.allentown
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Who makes a good repair manual for a VUE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My opinion for what it is worth.

I have found that Haynes is a better book than Chilton. Haynes tends to stick with the specific car you bought the manual for. Chilton tends to try to cover too many models in one book, and the result is that their coverage is lacking in detail and not as specific to your car. I also think that the Haynes is written better for the DIY people.

If you really want to get into some of the better stuff, Glenn Mitchel or Motor also publish excellent repair manuals second only to the factory service manuals.

These days, they want to put everything onto DVDs or CDs. I find that not to be useful since I usually do not have a computer available where I am doing repair work. Then there is that issue of what is on a screen as compared to a printed hard copy.

DMartin9N-2N
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes a good repair manual for a VUE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-jimg.allentown wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:45:35 06/11/21) My opinion for what it is worth.

I have found that Haynes is a better book than Chilton. Haynes tends to stick with the specific car you bought the manual for. Chilton tends to try to cover too many models in one book, and the result is that their coverage is lacking in detail and not as specific to your car. I also think that the Haynes is written better for the DIY people.

If you really want to get into some of the better stuff, Glenn Mitchel or Motor also publish excellent repair manuals second only to the factory service manuals.

These days, they want to put everything onto DVDs or CDs. I find that not to be useful since I usually do not have a computer available where I am doing repair work. Then there is that issue of what is on a screen as compared to a printed hard copy.

Good afternoon: Does anyone still use CDs or DVDs? I thought they were obsolete. Not included in new computers....

Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters