Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1550 update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: 1550 update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I followed BA's advise and drained the creamy colored oil out of the rear end and loosened the 4 capscrews and the shaft pulled right out. I got the rusty pins out of the chain coupler and got it off, needs a new chain and sprockets. I made 4 stands to bolt onto the motor so the oil pan doesn't set on the floor when I let it down. Pulled the motor and then split the Hydra Power off. The clutch plate is almost to the rivets and the fingers on the pressure plate look worn pretty good, so I should replace both of them. The pilot bearing spins freely and rolls a while after I spin it with my finger. Looked the Hydra power over for the oil leak and didn't see any obvious sign of where it's leaking, I thought there would be a trail but didn't see one. I'll put a new seal on the output shaft when I change the sprocket.

There is oil all over the front of the transmission case, looks like it's coming from the shift rails block. Can I pull the block off and put new gaskets in without taking the top off of the transmission??

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1550 update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tractor jockeys paint and sell tractors , wondered why u painted before repairing. she's a worn out unit that had to be disassembled repaired then painted. this is a whole winter project or a year. plus u saying the pilot bearing spins freely... well it is toast caput no good. any brg. with grease in it will not spin. and yes your p. plate is shot also. someone has been into that hydrapower also.

super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, she was/is a rusty, abused old tractor that I plan to keep around. I bought it mainly for tractor drives because of the high speed rear end. I went on a big 3 day tractor drive and wanted it to look good for that. I can touch up the paint.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your HP leak could be the O-ring that seals the banjo extension through the right side cover. Mine leaks there but I haven't fixed it yet. You can take off the shift rail cover easy enough but there are two gaskets, one between the block and the case. My right shift rod, home made, broken and welded once and broke again. It was hard to get it back together with he engine in. You'll need to put something in the rod holes to keep the detent balls in place to put in back on the rails. I used 3/4 inch wood dowels. Hard part was getting the correct size cotter pins bent so they clear the cover. It will be easier since the engine is out.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not telling you what to do Chris, but I am advising you to change the pilot and throw out bearings while you're in there. The clutch was slipping on my 1550 five or six years ago. I ordered one instead of taking everything to Clutch Dynamics, took it apart when the new one got here, put it in and put it back together all the same day without changing or adjusting anything else. The pressure plate was way out of whack with that new clutch in it. I had to lengthen the linkage rod, not enough adjustment. Then last summer I was raking hay. The throw out bearing had been making a little noise but I had greased it. I came up to the end of the field, felt a pop when I pushed the pedal down and it wouldn't stop. The bearing came apart. So, I got to tear it all apart again.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters