Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Farmall model A, no spark at plugs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adambeck3475
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall model A, no spark at plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Update: I took the magneto apart, cleaned the points, fixed the connector that goes on the wire that connects the condenser to the points, and timed the gears. I have a little jolt at the plugs, Im guessing it not enough to cause a spark. What do I need to do to get a bigger spark? Im assuming this is still the reason it wont start.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall model A, no spark at plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rotate the engine slowly (neutral with brakes locked, hand cranking is best.) each rotation of the crank should produce 2 very clear solid clicks. Like pinching a wooden spring cloths pin and letting it snap shut. if that is not happening, or if it is lacking crispness in the snap, the impulse coupling may be failing. An impulse coupling is located in the drive to the mag, just inside of the mounting flange and part of the mag, not the tractor. The device (bear with be on this) is like holding a kid back by the suspenders, then letting them go. In the mag, there is a certain rotation speed of a magnet that generates the power to make spark. when cranking (electric or hand) the magnet is not moving fast enough to make crisp spark. The coupling latches the rotation of the mag internal parts for several degrees of rotation, winding up a spring, then releases them so they travel fast enough to make spark big enough to jump the plug's gap. if you are uncomfortable with trepairing or analysis of the mag. put the engine on TDC compression #1 cylinder, and take the mag off. Several companies and even people on this site (Teddy52food is one) repair mags. Jim

adambeck3475
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall model A, no spark at plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the mag apart earlier today. I had the impulse out and the dogs were snapping back, not sticking at all. When I rotate the engine over I do hear a really crisp clicking noise. Could a new set of points and condenser give it more spark to jump the spark plug gap?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall model A, no spark at plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New points maybe if the old ones are getting bad. As for a new condenser you stand a 50/50 chance that it would be bad right out of the box. I haven't replaced a condenser in over a decade due to that problem

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall model A, no spark at plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The magnet in a Mag can have the magnetism fade. They were not very high tech magnets. They can be recharged by a mag repair place. A distributor
can be used in place of the mag but requires some rewiring. Jim

tractorguy2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall model A, no spark at plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Weak spark can be caused by,

A weak coil
Dirty, burnt, or improper gapped points. New points must be cleaned before installing.

Suppression plug wires. Mags need copper core wires.

Rotor gears not timed correctly.

I have bought and sold H4 mags for over 15 years. Haven't had one yet with a magnet so weak it wouldn't work. Fairbanks Morse mags a different story.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall model A, no spark at plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The magnet in the H4 mags don't lose their strength. I have more than one from the 40's that is still good & never been charged

Dave41A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall model A, no spark at plugs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-teddy52food wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:35:23 06/12/21) The magnet in the H4 mags don't lose their strength. I have more than one from the 40's that is still good & never been charged

Yes. Teddy is correct. The magnet will not "wear out."

Some thoughts: check the plugs. You want NON-RESISTOR plugs. I suggest Autolite 3116's, but everyone has their favorite brand. You also want COPPER wires. I got surprised on this with my '41H when I converted from coil to mag--it is an easy mistake to make (easy for me, anyway). It is also helpful to have the rotor and cap be a "matched set." By this I mean the height of the rotor (as measured setting on a table) varies a little between different aftermarket brands. Some are "too low" for the cap, while I have had others where the rotor actually hit the cap on the inside while turning. Try putting the originals back on. I think you are very close. Dave

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters