Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

No sound as great as a Cummins in the morning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tgrasher
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: No sound as great as a Cummins in the morning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got up early before the heat set in and used the Steiger to field cultivate this twenty acres. Some of it had giant ragweed (we call them horseweeds) over two feet tall but it handled them pretty good with only a couple of drags. There was still some water in the ditches that drain the field (I've seen ducks swimming in the lower areas) that I avoided. There is a different sound this tractor makes as the motor idles and when the governor kicks in that is so impressive and distinct from the large motors I've heard. Kind of a cackling at idle and a bark when power is needed. Tim the tool man would be totally impressed.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: No sound as great as a Cummins in the morning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those old steigers do sound good the two I ran had cats. Is yours straight piped? On the organic dairy we had giant rag weed 6 feet tall had to swath the grain then in about 2 weeks we could try to combine it those old rag weeds when they hit the cylinder it was like a a buzz saw hitting a tough spot in the log

PopinJohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: No sound as great as a Cummins in the morning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No offense intended, but I hate the sound of a Cummins.
Years ago, I spent the night in a mom and pop motel
just south of Joplin, MO. Ten degree weather outside.
In the room next door, a truck driver had left his truck
idling all night, because it would not have started the next
morning. The truck had a loose bolt in the front bumper
that vibrated around and around hour after hour after hour.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: No sound as great as a Cummins in the morning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If that cumapart would not start at 10 degrees then he had the timing set way off for a purpose or it was awful tired. A friend of mine, was telling me about one he had one time. The timing was set that way for a purpose and said it would not start without being plugged in below 50 degrees. He was always playing with things on those old Cummins.

GreenEnvy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: No sound as great as a Cummins in the morning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just overhauled the 855 Cummins in my Big Bud. It does sound good but to me the Cats are better all around. Nice Steiger BTW. We have one too but with a Cat.

Alvin 41
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: No sound as great as a Cummins in the morning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had a MF4880 with the 903 V-8 that irritated the new suburbanites when we ran late at night.

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: No sound as great as a Cummins in the morning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am a 3406 C man myself,way more torque on the hills that a 444 !!

GreenEnvy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: No sound as great as a Cummins in the morning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree. Our Steiger has an A series and you could plow at any throttle setting or take off with the plow in the ground. Can't do that with my Big Bud. We also have a B series in a KW semi.

Tgrasher
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: No sound as great as a Cummins in the morning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is straight up off the curve from the turbo and as far as not starting in the cold, I've never tried, never needed to, don't want to. I use gas tractors for cold weather work. Still remember as a kid using a 351 Case gas to pull the bigger 830 diesel to haul manure. Still don't understand why the wheels want to spin backwards, especially on snow. Had to drag the 830 out to the road to get any good traction.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: No sound as great as a Cummins in the morning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yep,... i have stayed in motels and got no sleep due to those noisy things rattling outside. i know what u are talking about. ok in a tractor but i hate those noisy trucks.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: No sound as great as a Cummins in the morning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You werent tired enough then . I can sleep next to a cement mixer half full of ball bearings. And cummins has never made a bumper to my knowledge.

fred kobs
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: No sound as great as a Cummins in the morning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3406A for me...clatter and bang right up till you let the clutch out in the morning no matter how long you let her warm up.

PopinJohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: No sound as great as a Cummins in the morning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No offense intended, but I hate the sound of a Cummins.
Years ago, I spent the night in a mom and pop motel
just south of Joplin, MO. Ten degree weather outside.
In the room next door, a truck driver had left his truck
idling all night, because it would not have started the next
morning. The truck had a loose bolt in the front bumper
that vibrated around and around hour after hour after hour.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters