Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

346 Baler..... Any baler men?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjoman09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: 346 Baler..... Any baler men? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought a nice 346 1980 Baler last year and has worked great! until today....wire tie- seems to want to attach a 8-10 bale on the back of another bale then it will mess up and wrap wire around the bale-hook shaft..... any help for me? Thanks

ET
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 346 Baler..... Any baler men? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Start by making sure all the wire guide rollers are free to turn and have no flat spots worn into them.

banjoman09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 346 Baler..... Any baler men? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes I did and lubricated them. Thanks

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: 346 Baler..... Any baler men? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you stating baler will put wire around an 8''-10'' thick block of hay after tying a regular bale? If that's correct the bale measuring arm isn't dropping to the adjustment stop after bale has been tied. Is spring(key 4) present or AWOL? It's also possible measuring wheel brackets(key 5) are slide a little to far to the rear. How much contact area does arm(key12) have with needle lift trip dog(key 4)?

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: 346 Baler..... Any baler men? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-banjoman09 wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:38:37 06/12/21) yes I did and lubricated them. Thanks

I was taught lubricating wire guide rollers wasn't a very good practice because the lubricant attracts dirt which contributes to stuck rollers

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 346 Baler..... Any baler men? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like the cutter blocks are bad, and not shearing the wire,, we use to run a 346 wire back in the 80's, I would change out the cutters and check all the roller each year,,drop the twister shaft out and sand the wear grooves off of them, and always poured about a cupful of oil into each roll of wire,, seemed to make things work well,, I know a bit of oil will attract some dirt,,but the lube is still well worth doing.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 346 Baler..... Any baler men? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Until last yr when I sold my JD 347 wire tie baler I always put some extra oil on the rolls of wire because baling wire is packaged with oil than it was 40 yrs ago.

This post was edited by Tx Jim on 06/13/2021 at 07:45 am.

banjoman09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 346 Baler..... Any baler men? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can try the oil- motor oil? 15/40 ok? Also Im not sure about key this and key that and drop dogs here and there...sounds like
a song that Snoop Dog would write! I bought this off of Big Iron from a gentleman is TX last year...was this you sir? I think I
did talk to you on the phone but bought a different baler. Smile Anyway yes 10 bale tied to end of bale....Im baling Oats today and
working for the time being.... I will study all this more tonight...thanks a bunch guys!

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 346 Baler..... Any baler men? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remember conversing with you. After you purchased your baler on Big Iron I sold my 347 locally.

The key # is referencing a particular part identified in a parts photo that I posted.

For clarification if I understand you correctly your bales are staying connected by stems of hay after leaving bale chamber. If that's correct then I think plunger head & stationary have too much clearance between them.

To move plungerhead closer to stationary knife loosen bolts under balecase retaining LH bottom guide & utilize 3 jack bolts to move guide & plungerhead closer to pickup attachment.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters