Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

What number hay rake is this?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: What number hay rake is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Factory placed grease fittings as the grease in the gear case is not high enough up to lube those spots but will lube the gears inside the case. No seal on the shafts so filling high enough to lube those spots the grease would all run out around the shaft. Don't remember for shure how many fittings but thing there are more than you found, but some might be on outside, just do not remember.

Hunt4ihhayrakeid
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: What number hay rake is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Leroy wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:26:34 06/10/21) Set the teeth about 1 of the ground, too low and teeth will behitting ground and breaking. higher may not pick up corectly. The crank tilts the angle of the tith and you want them tilted toward the hay slightly because the other way the teeth will slide over the hay. I grew up with a New Idea of that vintage and pulled it with a Farmal H or John Deere B 4th at slightly above idle, The 2N Ford it was higher engine RPM as it was missing the gear it should have had for raking. Am now just about 78 and not in good health and living in town but untill about 3 years ago I was rebuilding those rakes for the Amish. Over the time I have handled over 60 steel wheel hay rakes rebuilding most of them, I can only think of 3 that did not have to have work done to them. I not only worked with the rakes but grain drill, corn planters, mowers and other
implements. Living in town I cannot even work on my truck. I do not know the gearing in AC tractors but knowing that tractor should be a 3 speed with 3rd a road speed second would be light field work speed.

Here is tractor data for the model B that I will be using to pull this rake. What gear and throttle would you go with knowing the speeds it can do I'm assuming at wide open throttle is what these specs are for...(2.5 mph -I'm guessing all those speeds are wide open throttle?)

Also how fast would you run a trailer type sickle mower in 3 ft tall orchard grass? Here are the specs for the model CA I will be using to pull the sickle mower...(2.0 mph)
Thanks much for the rake setup info, should I need to adjust the left hand crank above enclosed gear.box?

Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What number hay rake is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im pretty sure its a #50 chain. Neighbor had one

Hunt4ihhayrakeid
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: What number hay rake is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Leroy wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:32:11 06/10/21) Factory placed grease fittings as the grease in the gear case is not high enough up to lube those spots but will lube the gears inside the case. No seal on the shafts so filling high enough to lube those spots the grease would all run out around the shaft. Don't remember for shure how many fittings but thing there are more than you found, but some might be on outside, just do not remember.

So should I just fill with grade so it won't splash out around shaft?

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What number hay rake is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would just fill to bottom of shaft with the 90 wt. and grease the fittings with gun grease. But the fittings inside gear box grease once a year unless you are doing hundreds of acres per year that I dought. And this is not covered in the 8 page owners manual. That crank if teeth are not set where you want will have to use heat to get it to turn. Other fittings probably 1 or 2 pumps of grease gun per fitting depending on when you see grease comming out of bearing.

Hunt4ihhayrakeid
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What number hay rake is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Leroy wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:59:31 06/11/21) I would just fill to bottom of shaft with the 90 wt. and grease the fittings with gun grease. But the fittings inside gear box grease once a year unless you are doing hundreds of acres per year that I dought. And this is not covered in the 8 page owners manual. That crank if teeth are not set where you want will have to use heat to get it to turn. Other fittings probably 1 or 2 pumps of grease gun per fitting depending on when you see grease comming out of bearing.

Gotcha when we were unloading it off the trailer it was tilted to one side and it looked like there was water running out of the gearbox but it looks like it was greased and oiled, I'm wondering if there's a drain plug on the bottom I should empty it first. I've got some 80 90 gear oil I'm going to put in it like you say. Cutting hay hopefully tomorrow with my trailer type sickle mower behind my Allis Chalmers d17, just about 3 acres

So I did look and there was a drain plug on the bottom luckily I pulled it out because there was water in it mixed in with some gunky looking oil, filled it like you said to the bottom of the shaft and greased everything else.

This post was edited by Hunt4ihhayrakeid on 06/11/2021 at 08:06 pm.

SadFarmall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: What number hay rake is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Correct chain is Number 72.
The gears have grease nipples because the earlier versions, with tedding capability had basically the same gears, which did not run in an enclosed case. The same type of rake was sold in Australia as a GL-100 Side Delivery Rake, but had a lower axle and 6.00-16 tyres.
Lubrication is SAE 140 in the enclosed gear box. They have a drain plug. If the rake is outside, the gearbox always gets water in it.
You have to grease the two gears inside the gearbox regularly or there will be excessive wear to the shaft and gears.
There were different sprockets available to alter reel speed, so the rake could be operated with horse, tractors or oxen.
Pictures of:
Lubrication page for GL-100 rake - same as yours except for the chain from the 600-16 wheel to gearbox.
Different speed sprockets
Open gears on Side Rake and Tedder version

SadFarmall

SadFarmall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: What number hay rake is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry, correct chain is Number 72 & 1/2 not 72.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: What number hay rake is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hay Sad how are you doing, haven'y heard from you for quite a while.

SadFarmall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What number hay rake is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Leroy,
keeping busy - farm work never ends!
I was thinking more about the enclosed gear rake. I think that the oil only lubricates the driving and driven teeth on the gears as it is picked up by the gears in the lower half of the gearbox. If you fill the gearbox above the bottom of the shafts, the oil seeps out - at least it does on the GL-100 rakes, so probably the same on big front wheel version?
The 16" front wheels on the GL-100 are not a great design, because the low front axle can drag heavy hay forward before the reel gets to the crop.
SadFarmall

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters