Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Haying in the kingdom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Haying in the kingdom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been doing some hay lately. Got most of it done now and all without rain. Would have gladly sacrificed some of the hay for rain tho. Cut with my 955 swather again and it did a great job. Did find a break in the frame before I got started. So I got to do some welding. Love the overhead stuff.

Also had a bearing go out on the canvas roller, but otherwise it went ok. Cut 35 acres so far.

With the 830 down, the 1030 took over on the conditioner and rake. The 955 has a conditioner and it works well, but I usually run over it again the day after cutting with a conditioner to further condition it and fluff it. Seems to help drying a lot.

Guess I didn't get a pic of the 281 rake behind the 1030 so here is one from last year behind the 830.

Used the 400 on the 200 baler. Ran 500 bales total and missed one bale and broke one shear pin.

Even made a video. Still have some clean up to do, cutting around buildings and ditches and such. If it don't rain soon I won't get any more hay and I'll need to cut some pasture. Might get rain today, but if not looks like two weeks dry and it might be too late then. Going to be a busy few weeks coming up with finishing the hay, cultivating and a trip for stuff. Hope I can get it all done.
Baling

rgorange
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Haying in the kingdom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice pics Jon. When I was in school I worked for a guy that had a long bale rack like that one. Really makes you hustle when the hay is good and the wagon is empty!

Don Rudolph
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Haying in the kingdom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jon,
Those are some impressive loads of hay. My neighbor Leo had a 20' rack on an old Case running gear and it held up real well despite being well overloaded. Don

db4600
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Haying in the kingdom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hows the moisture in Kanabec? SWMBO and I traveled to Nowthen. The corn over in Sherburne is starting to curl on the sand. Might have to do a dance and Im not saying polka!

chuck machinist
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Haying in the kingdom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I appreciate the phone call yesterday Jon, On Tuesdays tractor ride in Bellevue, my senses were working overtime someone had just cut some fresh hay, And it took me back to the mid 60s as a young lad, bologna sandwiches lemonade and chocolate cake for lunch while bailing using the DC -3and14 T John Deere Baylor.CM

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Haying in the kingdom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice square edged bales, they stack nice ! There baling their Rye crop for feed here, in North Dakota,very little for Berry's, in the head anyway!

Cash4Toys
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Haying in the kingdom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking at those pictures of the 400 on the baler brings back memories of a day one doesn't soon forget. Wasn't very old, 14-15 I guess, but was stacking on a rack for a neighbor a few miles down the road, usually behind his 400. But, he had run a T post through a tire when opening another field, so he borrowed his brothers 830 COM. He had not been around it much before, which was evident a little later. Hooked everything up and off we went. Alfalfa, pretty heavy stand, and in some areas he had to slow down, so he was using the torque. Was me and another kid stacking, had two rows staked 6 high, 5 bales in a row, as always, 5 high if you were alone. Then when it got a little heavy on a slight down grade, just before a pretty long steep hill, he was using the torque, and once we came to the peak, it was a race to the bottom. Felt like we were going about 20 mph, the pickup was dragging so much hay, it made the baler dog track, then the rack was trying to pass the baler, We both bailed off the rack, he ended up jack knifing the tractor and the baler & the rack and the baler, what a mess. Rack tore up the twine box and the back side of the feeder chamber, bent the heck out of the baler drawbar, pto had snapped off and was beating the heck out of the 3 point and drawbar, and the guy was shaking like a leaf, couldn't hardly stand. After a calming period, We sorted it all out, reloaded the wagon and then he hired another friend of mine to come finish it, also another 200, but behind an 1850 Oliver. It was year later, his dad had a runaway with 1850 in Hydra power, but for a shorter distance, no damage. All of that Case equipment came from Elmer Geiger, Case dealer at 421 Wabasha, St. Paul, Mn

Don Rudolph
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Haying in the kingdom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for including the dealer information with your story. Oh, to be a kid again. Don

VAC400
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Haying in the kingdom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jon thank you for posting the pictures. Your hay crusher is like the one my dad had and would work better than the other brands.

Cash4Toys
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Haying in the kingdom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was that a dealer that you already had on your list? I remember Elmer as if it were yesterday. He used get mad at me when I was child, climbing on his display tractors in front of the parts counter, on the upper floor which was wood. Used to go there all the time for parts, then Case had the parts center open on Hwy 55, Eagan, so a lot of times it was ordered through Elmer then picked up at the warehouse. There was another dealer in Rosemount, MN., Kane, I barely remember them. They sold a quite few steam engines and separators, had a large black smith shop as well as lathes and mills. Guess I can only remember some used SC or DC type tractor sitting around for sale or parted out in the early 60's. One of their 80hp Case is on display at the Dakota County fair grounds. Funny how you remember things from 50-60 years ago like it was yesterday, but can't remember what you did the day before.

Don Rudolph
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Haying in the kingdom Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional dealer. I did have Elmer Geiger, but not his address, so thanks for posting that info as well. Some of my favorite memories are going to Braun Implement and looking at the pictures of new 30 series tractors on the wall and listening to all the farmers talking about weather, crops, and rain. Sounds like you remember those days as well. Don

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters