Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

HELP guys, 641 no spark.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRENTICE2470
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: HELP guys, 641 no spark. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey everyone, new here hope someone can tell me what I'm overlooking. I have a 641 that has been sitting for about 15 years. I am not getting any spark to the plugs.

I installed new points, condenser, rotor button and cap. New plug wires and spark plugs. Also has a new coil. Distributor is turning so ruled out sheered pin. Im pretty positive most of the other electrical components/wires are toast. I've tried cleaning connection from Distributor to coil as well as running hot wire directly to coil just to see if I can get it to spark. I'm currently jumping at starter because solenoid/switch/thumb starter one or all are bad.

Carb is currently off as it was stopped completely up so I have it soaking. I'm merely shooting starting fluid in intake just to get it to atleast rumble. But until I get fire I'm not going anywhere.

Jim L WA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: HELP guys, 641 no spark. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Let's start at the beginning. To get spark to the plugs, you have to have battery to the primary side of the coil and ground to the distributor plate. You say it won't even turn over, sooooo, is the battery charged? Have you cleaned the battery posts and cable connection, both ends? Do you have a multi meter that you can use to trace battery and ground?
Let us know.

PRENTICE2470
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP guys, 641 no spark. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tractor has been sitting for 15 years or
so, so of course either the solenoid,
starter switch, or key switch (maybe all)
are bad. I have the battery hooked up but
also jumping at the starter to spin the
engine. I have voltage at the coil and
points but no spark to the plugs.

Hdonly
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: HELP guys, 641 no spark. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check points setting first. Pull the coil wire from the center of the distributor cap and see if you get spark there. If you do, then check the rotor and distributor cap for cracks. Make sure you have the metal clip on the distributor shaft that fits under the rotor.

Dave in MS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP guys, 641 no spark. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the tractor still 6 volt positive ground, or has it been converted to 12 volts with an alternator?

PRENTICE2470
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP guys, 641 no spark. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pouring down rain when I got home today so
haven't messed with it more. The cap and
rotor are new. The metal clip is still on
the shaft tho.

PRENTICE2470
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP guys, 641 no spark. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tractor is still 6 volt positive ground.

Dave in MS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP guys, 641 no spark. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If every thing else checks out, you may have a bad condenser.

PRENTICE2470
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP guys, 641 no spark. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Finally got time to mess with the tractor again. The power i had to my points other day was no longer there. Turns out bolt at distributor base that supplies voltage to points was the issue. Power was sporadic. Fixed issue and tractor fires up now.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP guys, 641 no spark. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know of any "bolt at distributor base that supplies voltage to points" I do know of a small, thin copper strip that carries the current from the outside of the distributor to the inside. It tends to be the cause for intermittent current to the points.

PRENTICE2470
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP guys, 641 no spark. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The part is listed on this site as power
inlet screw. Yes its basically a bolt for
lack of better terms.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: HELP guys, 641 no spark. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-PRENTICE2470 wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:33:55 06/14/21) The part is listed on this site as power
inlet screw. Yes its basically a bolt for
lack of better terms.

OK, now I see what you are referring to. A screw is probably a better term for a screw since that is the term that the description used. And base is not commonly used for a part of the distributor. Anyway the copper strip shown below the kit on the list, along with the insulator get deteriorated and will cause annoying intermittent problems especially when moisture gets involved, and need to be renewed.

PRENTICE2470
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: HELP guys, 641 no spark. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm glad you know so much. Too bad you
weren't here with your expert opinion on
the problem until after I solved the
issue....

Dave in MS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: HELP guys, 641 no spark. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-PRENTICE2470 wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:15:03 06/15/21) I'm glad you know so much. Too bad you
weren't here with your expert opinion on
the problem until after I solved the
issue....

I hope your comment wasn't meant to be as snarky as it seemed to me.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters