Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Onan diesel generator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: Onan diesel generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This unit is for sale near me . I've no knowledge of Onan equipment and wondered if any of yo might be able to identify the model and engine type . The spec plate is too obscure to read , seller can't provide any details either.
I thought it might be useful as a power supply for the farm , old , not too expensive and won't be asked to produce enormous amounts of power .

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Onan diesel generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any numbers on the circuit breakers? That would give a ball park clue.

Double breakers, single phase, triple, 3 phase.

RM-MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Onan diesel generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If a picture is worth 1000 words, think of how much 10 pictures would be worth. It can be really hard to identify something with just one picture.

MikeJM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Onan diesel generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like a RDJB gen set, looks liquid cooled, DJB would have been air cooled. Probably 6.0 or 7.5 KW, what type of voltage regulator does it have? There were different types used over their production run.

I have no doubt it will run, making power is the real question.

Bob M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Onan diesel generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The arrangement of injection pump, filters, shutdown solenoid, etc suggest a 6DJ series. And the presence of cooling and raw water pumps would make it a 6MDJB - the liquid cooled, marine variant of the air-cooled 6DJB.

Compare to the photo below of my 6DJB (flag is stuck on it by a grandkid for flag day here yesterday....)

It would be rated 6 kw - voltage and whether single or 3 phase depending on the generator head. If you can't make out the spec plate you may be able to back into the model by getting the part number on the voltage regulator then doing a search on that. (Regulator is under the top cover over the ammeter.)

With proper care DJ gensets are about as reliable and bullet-proof as can be had!

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Onan diesel generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

quote="CVPost-Bob M"](reply to post at 15:40:11 06/15/21) [/quote]

Thanks very much for that Bob .
The difficulty here is that we are still in infection lock down , travelling for all but a few essential reasons is prohibited and the penalties for breaching these regulations are huge .
The owner is just not too forthcoming on photos , I suppose he thinks he can sell it without effort on his part . A marine application makes sense considering the state of the specification plate .
Some Onan models are so noisy I wouldnt want one so it's good to hear this model is reliable and well known . I suppose I just have to wait until I can go to see it properly

zuhnc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Onan diesel generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There should be six numbers stamped onto a machined pad , around the oil filler area, toward the generator adaptor. Might have to remove some paint/rust to see them. That is the serial number. If you post that number in the Onan generator section of SmokStak.com, someone there can tell you all the particulars about it.
To me, it appears to be a 7.5MDJE (60Hz), based on the style of the injection pump. Two cylinder Bryce-Kiki pump. Raw water and circulating pumps on the shelf, belt driven. Slightly lower rating at 50HZ.
Go to http://skilledcrafting.com/onan files, or http://onan.xmsi.net to get service and operators manuals. Search on MDJE. It has an Onan YD generator end, electronic voltage regulated. Mechanical governor.
You would need a radiator and some type of cooling fan, unless you have a pond or stream from which you can get cooling water. Maximum lift of the raw water pump is about 6 feet (2.8M). Very good unit, but noisy.
Both the engine and generator were designed and built by Onan - no one else. So it is not "similar to. . .", or built by . . ." . Of course the water pumps and injection pump were built by someone else; no point in reinventing the wheel.

I have a 6MDJB (slightly smaller cylinder bore) I have converted to radiator cooling. Runs the house when needed. I built a fuel tank for it, and made some other modifications for the radiator cooling. zuhnc

This post was edited by zuhnc on 06/15/2021 at 09:28 pm.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Onan diesel generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob and Zunhc your generatorsclook like works of art .
Noise is a big factor to consider as well as the difficulty of Onan parts here . I wondered if it was powered by an engine a little more common here .
I'll keep searching .

zuhnc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Onan diesel generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, it is not built by someone else, and purchased by Onan. Onan designed and built engine; proprietary, if you will. Very robust. Mine is a 1968 marine model. Most parts are still available through various sources. zuhnc

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters