Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1550 Brakes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: 1550 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ordered a new crankshaft rear seal and a gasket set for the Hydra Power today, so while I am waiting, I decided to take the brakes apart and clean them up. The right side was nearly full of dirt and dust. When I took the bottom bolt out of the left cover, it started leaking, not a good sign!!The linings and actuator are soaked with oil. These aren't like the others I have done, I can't see the seal, it's behind the inside plate that the brakes run against. I tried to get something behind it to work it out, but I ran out of time and had to quit for today. Anyone ran into this and how do you get the plate out to replace the seal??? Hey, it's only money and you can't take it with you, right??

super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got a better look at it this morning, there are 3 bolts inside the housing fastening the housing to the transmission case. Can I take them out to get the housing off without disturbing the pinion shaft?The parts book shows the seal on the back side of the housing.

How can there be this much oil inside the housing and the disc is stuck on the shaft? One of lifes great mysteries!!

ziffel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do as much cleaning as possible first. Using an air hose blow out accumulated dirt from behind housing. The pinion will be ok. Just don't disturb any shims you find. Remove the linkage. Take out the three bolts. Pull off the brake housing. The seal can then be changed. Clean up everything making sure the splines are clean. Any discs that are worn or oil soaked will need to be replaced. Reassemble and adjust. DONT over adjust. Pedal height of half to three quarter is high enough. Check the ball and ball socket are not over worn. They can be repaired by welding and grinding.

super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks!!

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That looks different than mine, seal was right there, I didn't have to replace them. Did they use different housings? My brakes didn't work. Lined disks were OK, links and anchor bolts were corroded badly.

scootergmc
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would not pull the housings because then you're messing with shims and the oring. I would just pull the cup and seal. The cups are available.

ztrmower
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 Brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do you work on other peoples olivers or only redo and sell what you get,i have my dads 1850 oliver and would like to make it look nice. but my health now and house project issues its going be awhile if i did get to it which now does not look like that will happen,formaldhyde poison really took toll on me. i am in iowa near mt pleasant ia. i also have my uncles oliver 60

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters