Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Drawbar Length for 540 PTO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jd2cylman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Drawbar Length for 540 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, isn't it set in stone somewhere that any machine with a 540 PTO has to have the drawbar set at 14" from end of PTO shaft to center of drawbar pin hole?
Neighbor has a fairly new JD4066R. He's trying to pull a NH BC5050 square baler. I'm tryn to help out and I notice a huge racket at the PTO when I turn while baling. Well, the PTO was out of phase. The reason it's out of phase is because the he had to cut the PTO shorter because the drawbar only extends to 10" to the center of the hole??? How can this be. Did PTO dimensions suddenly change and I didn't get the memo? I looked on the Deere site, and they only offer one drawbar. The original part does sub. Maybe Deere realized they screwed up? Doubtful.
Anyhow, rant over. But I still have to figure out how to extend his drawbar...

jacksun65
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Drawbar Length for 540 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Problem is it's a compact utility tractor. Don't know about the 4066 but my 4200 has a pin underneath that you pull and the draw
bar will extend out 14

Jim.ME
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Drawbar Length for 540 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

His Operator's manual should have the info on the pin to pull to change the drawbar length as jacksun65 mentioned. Sounds like it is in the storage position, not operating position.

jd2cylman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Drawbar Length for 540 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm a farm boy. I know drawbars. What I'm telling you all is that in the LONGEST position, you can only get to 10" past the PTO shaft. That's all it will extend. There aren't any more holes in the drawbar, and there aren't any other holes in the support to move the drawbar pin further back. Seems like a poorly made set up if you ask me. Surely I can't be the first to come across this. True, I don't have his OM, but there's only two holes in the drawbar. 8" and 10". But I guess I'll have a look at his manual and call Deere afterward and check on new drawbar lengths.

lfnel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Drawbar Length for 540 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The drawbar horizontal pivot point, pin, should be located mid-way between the two front-most U-joints on the front PTO shaft.

55 50 Ron
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Drawbar Length for 540 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had plenty of length with my 50 drawbar but not enough holes to make 14 inches so I drilled another hole in the drawbar to make the 14 inch position. Tough drilling the thick drawbar! If your drawbar is long enough try drilling another hole. If it's not long enough can you weld another piece on?

jd2cylman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Drawbar Length for 540 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah Ron, there's no way this bar can have more holes. It just isn't long enough. 4" short to be precise. And I don't think welding a chunk on will work so well. It's gonna have to be a completely different drawbar to get the correct length. Luckily the baler isn't 1000 rpm PTO...

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Drawbar Length for 540 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The drawbar's standard length is 14 inches from the end of the PTO shaft on a tractor to the center of the pinhole in the drawbar. This measurement is a standard measure for any implement turning at 540 rpm. If the implement is a 1,000-rpm shaft, the length should be 16 inches from the end of the PTO shaft to the hole in the drawbar.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Drawbar Length for 540 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD 4066R operators manual shows 2 different drawbar length settings but I didn't locate any reference to setting drawbar length for utilizing towed pto operated implement.
I suggest for owner of BC5050 to cut pto shaft & put opposing u-joints on telescoping shaft's in phase(time) then reweld.

This post was edited by Tx Jim on 06/15/2021 at 04:58 am.

Loosehandle
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Drawbar Length for 540 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make a piece that fits snugly on
drawbar and extends it, keep pivot on
baler hitch

jd2cylman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Drawbar Length for 540 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:54:35 06/15/21) JD 4066R operators manual shows 2 different drawbar length settings but I didn't locate any reference to setting drawbar length for utilizing towed pto operated implement.
I suggest for owner of BC5050 to cut pto shaft & put opposing u-joints on telescoping shaft's in phase(time) then reweld.

This post was edited by Tx Jim on 06/15/2021 at 04:58 am.

That's what he ended up having to do. I called Deere and they were no help. Apparently you're not supposed to pull 540 PTO equipment with this tractor. The reason the PTO got out of phase was because the PTO is a square shaft and he cut off the dimple to keep the PTO aligned. He's a city boy and knew nothing about keeping the PTO joints in phase until I told him.

jd2cylman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Drawbar Length for 540 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

buickanddeere wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:16:28 06/14/21)
The drawbar's standard length is 14 inches from the end of the PTO shaft on a tractor to the center of the pinhole in the drawbar. This measurement is a standard measure for any implement turning at 540 rpm. If the implement is a 1,000-rpm shaft, the length should be 16 inches from the end of the PTO shaft to the hole in the drawbar.

Exactly. So why doesn't the drawbar extend out to at least 14" from the factory? The tractor has 66ish HP, plenty to run the baler, but not safely as equipped.

Pete in MD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Drawbar Length for 540 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tractor has the wrong drawbar installed???

jd2cylman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Drawbar Length for 540 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Pete in MD wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:28:57 06/16/21) The tractor has the wrong drawbar installed???

Well, since Deere no longer gives specs on the parts page, it's hard to tell. But I does look exactly like the picture. Just 4" too short... Sad

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters