Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hydraulics Ford 3000

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambrose#
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Hydraulics Ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am working on a Ford 3000 that is mainly used to run a hay binder via remotes.
He tells me that all initially will work fine for about an hour then react slower and slower until nothing. He then with the tractor running loosen off the plug on the lift cover remote until fluid comes out and then all is fine for maybe 10 minutes when it repeats .
He also is not sure if any air comes out or only fluid.
Thinking it was air I pulled the lift cover and replaced both filters,
Checked the suction and return lines for leaks and replaced o rings at both ends.
The fluid other than dirty seemed fine and pressure is about 2400 p.s.I.
I really did not find anything at fault so I am reluctant to put it all together.
I am no expert on hydraulics and have been over my it book a hundred times so I need help.
Any and all help is appreciated

Sam

Bern
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulics Ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Based on your description, it sounds like the pump is slowly losing its prime as the oil warms up. My guess would be a very
small hole somewhere in the external suction pipe, either due to chafing or rust. Take another close look at it, especially in
areas where it might be rubbing on something on the backside.

If you have the line removed, see if you can cap one end and pressurize the other with compressed air and then use a soap
solution to check for bubbles. If that's not it, then the problem is likely the driveshaft seal inside the pump itself.

Ambrose#
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulics Ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had thought of that also and I did double check and pressurized them before I put them back on with new o rings. But thanks for the idea
Sam

rss0213
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulics Ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry I can't help with your specific issue, but I'm working on my hydraulics also. I'm trying to replace the suction filter, but it doesn't appear easy to remove because the tube its attached to has been brazed to a piece that's fixed to the housing. See picture.

Are there good instructions on here how to replace these? It's not documented in my Ford Repair Manual - only that they need to be cleaned or changed regularly...

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulics Ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The head of the bolt that holds that bracket in place should be on the outside of the casing. Many folks have accidentally unscrewed it thinking it is the level check plug and then found out that they need to somehow hold that bracket in place on the inside while they screw the bolt back into it.

rss0213
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulics Ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sean in PA wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:28:42 06/15/21) The head of the bolt that holds that bracket in place should be on the outside of the casing. Many folks have accidentally unscrewed it thinking it is the level check plug and then found out that they need to somehow hold that bracket in place on the inside while they screw the bolt back into it.

Thanks Sean! What's the trick to removing the other filter? I've removed the bolt holding its bracket in place, but I can't figure out how to work the tube out of there.

sotxbill
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulics Ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Either a leak on suction side, or a pretty worn out pump that will only pump thick fluids. I see a lot of pumps start out fine cold and then slowly drop to 600 lbs or lower when hot. but if your getting nothing out of the plug when you first pull it, I would suspect either a leak or very low fluid that is cavitating down a bit. make sure you fluid is not full of water that will make this worse. You can put a rebuild kit in the pump to replace the valves and seats to help it if its losing prime in the 3000. You can also add some lucus "oil fortifier" to a 3000 as it has no internal brakes or clutches to help thicken it up a bit on a marginal pump....

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulics Ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rss0213 wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:03:00 06/16/21)
Thanks Sean! What's the trick to removing the other filter? I've removed the bolt holding its bracket in place, but I can't figure out how to work the tube out of there.

The other "filter" is just a metal screen on the end of the pickup tube that's meant to be cleaned and re-used. It doesn't look very bad in there so I don't think you need to pull it completely, but the o-ring at the other end of the tube may be the source of your air leak, and I think you can move it enough to pull the end out and replace the o-ring. I don't think that you can get that whole intake tube out without splitting the tractor between the trans and rear axle. There may be a way that someone else might be able to chime in with, but I don't know of one. I know I had to do a rear split on my 3 cylinder S-O-S 4000, but your 3000 looks less crowded in there so there may be a way.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters