Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Auto air conditioning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Auto air conditioning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As bad as I hate to get into something else I'm going to have to start working on my own car's AC. Long story short every garage in my area will make a vehicle worse doing any kind of mechanical work except one shop. I took my work van in there the first week of May
to that guy and it's still there. They supposedly had difficulty getting the right parts since the AC was a aftermarket add on but more than a week ago they claimed to have all the parts installed but there was a leak somewhere. Since all this was going on I put off
my customers as long as I could and started using a 2005 Dodge Dakota but it got hot today and the AC isn't working on it either. My son bought some gauges to work on the AC but he isn't trained to do that kind of work either. What he told me is the AC will work
sometimes but when it doesn't the pressure is high on the low side and low on the high side. My first question is what could make it reverse like that? Now my next issue is a 1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88. It has factory air that hasn't worked in more than 10 years. I
know my mother would have had it fixed if it didn't cost a lot so I think it's easy to assume the compressor is bad. I could easy enough replace the compressor but the system was originally charged with R12 so I know it would need to be converted to R134. More than
likely there is no R12 left in it and I could get the conversion fittings but how do you flush the oil out of the system. I heard the oil used for R12 won't work with R134. Then is the accumulator serviceable or should it be replaced?

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto air conditioning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First the van, the pressure is high on the low side and low on the high side.

The first thought is the compressor has stopped running. A disengaged clutch, slipping belt, or slipping clutch, but a slipping belt or clutch will be making noise, smoking, obvious.

Does the van have rear air? If so, or being aftermarket, it may have an expansion valve on one or both evaporators. As stuck open expansion valve will cause the readings to somewhat reverse. I've never seen a van with aftermarket air and hoses to the rear that didn't leak from day one!

The Olds, plan on replacing the compressor. If it failed mechanically, the condenser will be filled with shrapnel, best to replace it or at least take it off and thoroughly flush it with AC system flush. While you're at it remove the orifice tube and filter/accumulator, flush the evaporator. Blow the entire system out with nitrogen. That will remove all the old oil. Replace the filter/accumulator and orifice tube. Replace all the rubber hoses if any doubt about them. Install the adaptors, install the new compressor with the proper amount of oil for an empty system, vacuum and charge by weight. The weight specs should be available online, it will be different from R12.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Auto air conditioning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I posted too many vehicles at once. The van is being worked on by a mechanic. It probably wasn't equipped with air when it was first made because it was originally purchased by AT&T. It did just have air in the dash. The problem with the pressure switching on the low to the high side is on a Dodge pickup truck which has factory air. I will check to see if the compressor is engaging. My son had borrowed the truck for several months and all I know about it is what he told me.

The Olds, I'm not sure how the compressor works internally but think it just quit compressing. There is no noises coming from it when you turn it on.

560Dennis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Auto air conditioning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Suggestion only way to trouble shoot the ac is with gages high and low pressure . I ve over filled the Nissan once . So ! to much is just as bad . Wear gloves and safety glasses .
Once you have low and high side numbers from gages you can go from there to correction.
Novice ac guy myself .

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Auto air conditioning Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe there is an issue with the compressor. I had a little time to work on it and couldn't get the compressor to come on. I even tried to hot wire the clutch and the wire got hot quick.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters