Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Diesel Case 930, No Click, No Crank.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pard
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Diesel Case 930, No Click, No Crank. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been working on my 930's brakes from hell (two of the three disks on the right side were *welded* on). Went to start her up the other day because I needed to turn the brakes' shaft to reach the back, and nothing. Oil lights came on, but no click, no crank. I noticed that some of the light switches were on and figured one of my children had been playing on the tractor and turned them on. I dug out two battery tenders and charged them back up. Next day, same thing, no click, no crank.

I pulled out my manuals and started looking into the wiring a bit more. A previous owner converted this to 12v. My manual says there is a wire that runs from the starter's solenoid to another on the other side for the manifold's heater, but best I can tell that doesn't exist on my tractor. There is a 3 prong, 120v cord on the side where I'd expect this to be, I suspect it was another of the previous owner's wonderful modifications.

I can't recall ever touching the electrical on this, so I don't know how it'd have stopped work all of a sudden. It was running when I parked it last, about a month ago. Been inside since then, working on the brakes when I get a minute.

Batteries are good. Leads from them to the starter/grounding point are good -- probably could do with a cleaning, but the contact points are as clean as ya'd need. There are three wires that go to the starter. One from the ignition switch, another goes to the breaker. And the third isn't attached, just sittin there and I cannot trace it back to where it goes, haven't taken the dash off yet.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking maybe just bypass everything and try to get the starter's solenoid to click. I'm thinking it's gotta be something stupid, nothing has happened other than the brakes being disassembled, and best I can tell, this machine doesn't care if the brakes work or not, it'll start regardless.

DRussell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Case 930, No Click, No Crank. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 1030 has a starter safety switch on the hi-lo range lever. It won't start unless that lever is in the S position. That would be the first thing I would check. I don't know a lot about the 930, but I imagine yours has the same safety switch.

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Case 930, No Click, No Crank. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have the hi-lo shift lever in neutral??

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Case 930, No Click, No Crank. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

there is nothing to convert to 12 volt,... they are a 12 volt diesel engine starter. i know the early ones had 2 6 volt battery's in them.
maybe it has only one 12 volt now? get a good battery and hook it right to the starter solenoid with booster cables and try that.plus you can
jump it right at the solenoid with a screw driver from the battery cable to the small solenoid terminal. it has to crank then if starter is
ok. if not most likely the solenoid is toast. the booster cable thing is for a test as they will not put out enough for good cranking.

pard
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Case 930, No Click, No Crank. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I shoulda mentioned it, the hi-lo was in the S position but also, a previous owner disabled that, so it'll start in whatever ya want it to start in, but I do enjoy the modicum of safety that starting in the range-neutral position provides Very Happy

Dunno what the matter was, but I got it working. Jumped the solenoid with a screwdriver and it started cranking right away. Decided what the heck and tried the ignition switch, sure enough it started cranking with the key and came right back to life.

No clue what the screwdriver jump did to make it start working again, but I'll make sure to keep a good insulated handled screwdriver in my box from now on.

rustred, you're right, not a conversion persay, just it has two 12v batteries in parallel instead of two 6v in series. You're right, there are no 6v electronics on the machine so it doesn't really constitute a conversion.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters