Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

front end oil leak.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markstractors
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: front end oil leak. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HI, my fordson major thats developed a front end serious oil leak, its pouring out, this looks like its behind the front plate at
the very bottom. so you have the timing case which in this case is dry, its actually coming from behind the plate the timing case
bolts onto. does anyone have a link how to change this gasket and where to get a gasket from. is there a front crankshaft oil seal
behind this plate too. help is much appreciated. thank you.

Majorman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: front end oil leak. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Two possible areas of a leak, front plate gasket and front sump oil seal/packing.

To do the front plate gasket you can either remove the radiator and front tombstone, then the front pulley, timing cover, timing gears and front plate. Replace the gasket and reassemble making sure all the timing marks on the gears line up.

Or the way I do it which is jack up the tractor and block securely, undo the side channel bolts on the plate and at the rear, undo and remove the hoses, trundle the whole front end away complete with axle, radiator etc. then progress as above, front pulley etc.

If it is the front seal on the sump you will have to drop the sump, (very heavy and has to be manoeuvred to get it out) replace the packing front and rear, refit sump.

derwen1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: front end oil leak. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I unexpectedly stopped a rear crank seal leak on my dexta some years ago by using Fuchs HDX30 instead of multi grade.. major man probably won't believe it but it's true .. sounds like your leak is too bad though

Majorman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: front end oil leak. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh yes, I believe it.

My Nuffield 4/65 and my Major both leaked oil like mad when I was running them on a multi-grade 15/40W semi-synthetic oil from a quality supplier. When I talked to the supplier about it he told me never to use that oil in my tractors, because it would always leak from seals of that age, and to use a 20/50W straight oil. Since I changed to that all my oil leaks have disappeared and my oil pressure on both tractors runs higher. The Major used to run at 10psi when hot, it now never drops below 30 psi and the oil pump is 69 years new. :0)

This is what happened to me, cannot guaranty it will work for the OP, especially if the bolts on the front plate have come loose and the gasket is broken.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters