Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

351 Torque Tube Leak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lindenboyer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: 351 Torque Tube Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good morning. I picked up some Shell Rotella HD/Transmission Fluid and filled the Torque tube with 4 Gallons. Unfortunately, after about a day and a half, about 2.5 Gallons leaked back out so I went ahead and pulled the drain plug and let the rest drain out. The leak is coming from the very front where the tractor splits between the mid and front sections of the tractor. I'm not certain but after close inspection, it appears to be leaking out of the metal plate between the two bottom bolts. When I drained the fluids, I don't remember having a leak there and I feel like the fluid was much thicker than the HD/Trans fluid that I put in. I had the fluid drained for about a year with the drain plugs removed for painting purposes. All top fill plugs/dip sticks were not removed. I'm hoping there is a solution available that does not involve splitting the tractor. I was able to loosen/remove the bottom two bolts using a propane torch but was not unable to locate the actual source of the leak. I am not equipped properly to actually separate the two sections as I do not have any stands, lifts, etc. to evenly distribute the weight. Just for a little history, the tractor sat in my grandmother's barn for about 25 years collecting dust. After installing new coil, spark plug wires, rebuilt carburetor, I was able to get it running about a year ago. I only let it run for about 20 seconds just to make sure it still ran. It ran great but I didn't want to run it too long with all of the old fluids in the tractor. Afterwards, I started the teardown, drained fluids, etc. Any guidance/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I truly appreciate the guidance, assistance, subject matter experts recommended, etc. that this group has helped me with since I began this rebuild journey back in 2019.

Thank You,

Linden

connor9988
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 351 Torque Tube Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like the seal on the front of the torque tube dried out and is leaking? If so you will probably have to split it to replace that seal. While you are at it you might as well replace the seal that separates the 4 speed from the final drive as that has likely dried out or been just plain worn out. I have been in that situation where you just keep adding fluid only to have it seem into the rear end where it doesn't belong and it is frustrating. Best to put in the effort now and be happy with a no leaks (or minimal leaks) transmission. I would also advise replacing the engine rear main seal while it is split as that will almost certainly be dripping. Its one of those things where you get the tractor restored and all pretty and then you can really tell which seals should have been replaced!

lindenboyer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 351 Torque Tube Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank You, I was afraid that was going to be the case. Would you happen to know if there are kits available to replace all the seals and gaskets while I have it apart? I have some time as I'm still rebuilding. I'm in the process of getting one of the rear tires mounted to the rim I restored so I'll be able to move it around again in the next couple of weeks if everything goes right. Unfortunately, I don't think I have sufficient bracing/lift, etc. to be able to split the tractor in my garage. I'll most likely have to take it to someone who is better suited for this type of teardown. Thanks for the advise. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Linden

connor9988
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 351 Torque Tube Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get ahold of John Seali and he will get you squared away. Would be a good idea to replace the back PTO seal too.

John Saeli
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 351 Torque Tube Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do you know the leak is from the area you describe? That seal assembly is the most unlikely area. More likely, is the Eagle Hitch lift cyl. if you are using the Eagle Hitch. The next likely place is the PTO shaft seal between the 4 sp. gear box & diff.. Neither the lift piston nor the PTO seal replacement require a split.

tomturkey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 351 Torque Tube Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lindenboyer; what is your approx. location.? maybe I can help you out with some things to split your tractor. gobble

Klyde
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 351 Torque Tube Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it leaking between the engine and torque tube, or torque tube and transmission? I take it it is an external leak?

connor9988
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 351 Torque Tube Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John, the rear pto seal was not suggested to solve his initial problem but if he hasnt and other seals in the drivetrain are leaking it might not hurt to change that seal as well especially since it is an easier one and if he is restoring the tractor.

John Saeli
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: 351 Torque Tube Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, after re-reading the problem, it sounds like the leak is with the Clutch Quill. Torque tube oil leaking from the bell housing. Am I understanding that correctly?

lindenboyer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 351 Torque Tube Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes Sir. That's correct.

lindenboyer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 351 Torque Tube Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm located in Delaware. Thank You.

lindenboyer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 351 Torque Tube Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's really difficult for me to pinpoint the leak. I removed the two bottom bolts and the metal cover that is shaped like a half-circle with the two bold holes and notch in the center. After removing this, I could not pinpoint the actual leak. I put some heavy Lucas oil in the housing but it did not leak anymore. I've since drained it out and the reservoir is now empty again. I'm assuming that it is one of the gaskets or seals on the main drive shaft looking at the service manual but I'll be the first to tell you, I'm no mechanic!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters