Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1948 Cub won't turn two full revolutions with crank

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1948 Cub won't turn two full revolutions with crank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make 4 thin aluminum wedges and use them around the seat and face to put up pressure on the valve. Actually grinding the valve head flat on 2 sides
would allow getting a grip on it. Valves are not worth your time, and easily purchased. You might need one anyway. if it is .015 off the seat. grind
it before hitting it down with a hammer. Be sure it on TDC compression for that cylinder so it has clearance. Removing the keeper and spring can't
happen till it can move. Jim

Stoneridge62
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1948 Cub won't turn two full revolutions with crank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been spraying KRoil through the exhaust port right where the valve stem goes into the block casting for days. That is the top of the guide correct?

I got the valve open to the point I can slip a .035" feeler gauge between the head and the seat but it won't open any further. Getting to that point took a lot of persuasion.

Is it possible I may have a bent valve? Given it won't go up the stem would have be bent at the bottom of the guide correct? That does seem odd to me as I haven't been wailing away on anything up to this point.

If it is bent, how do you go about removing it? If it was an OHV engine I would just cut off the stem at the top of the guide, press the valve out and if necessary replace the guide. Searched this forum and didn't see anything related to removing a bent valve.

Is this thing toast?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1948 Cub won't turn two full revolutions with crank Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I started working on the stuck valves on the Cub I have at first I could only get them to open a little bit. I kept working them up and down and kept pouring ATF on them. Once I got them to open enough to grab them with a pair of vise grips I did so and made them turn as much as I could. 2 o them where so bad I had to remove the keepers and they pry them up to the point I could grab them and then turn and pull till they came out. I was then able to clean them up and also use a drill bit to clean up the guides. I just spent 30 minute on it cutting some weeds with the belly mower

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters