Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Lubrication on baler chains

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve_pr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Lubrication on baler chains Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Checking out my New Holland S68 prior to the upcoming harvest season and I noticed the pick up drive chain was looking a bit claggy and
rusty - checked the others and similar story. Probably should have really oiled them up before winter, but now feel worth while to ease
the potential problem of a chain break before I start baling. With todays technology dry/silicone lubricants seem to be recommended for
dry dusty environments, but obviously they weren't around back in the 60's.

How do folks generally clean and service/lubricate their baler chains?

Thanks in advance for suggestions, tips and advice.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Lubrication on baler chains Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Paint some used oil on with a paint brush. I also have dribbled oil on while the chain is turning to get the entire chain. Then oil them daily.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Lubrication on baler chains Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I lubricate my baler chains with aerosol can of chain lube

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lubrication on baler chains Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Generally people do cheap. I look at it as two different types. The pick-up chain is like one on a hay elevator, they are low speed and tend to easily go a long time without lube. The higher speed more heavily loaded ones I use aerosol chain lube, which comes out very thin and penetrates, then sets up into grease. It will penetrate better if you apply it to the side which is on the inside as it goes around the sprockets.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Lubrication on baler chains Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a toss up between using a sticky oil that will last but attracts dust, dirt and chaff or a thin oil that isn't so bad in that respect but has to be renewed much more often. I like using chainsaw bar and chain oil as far as lasting goes, but ATF or drain oil works better on a stiff chain that needs fast lubing.

I think in the end, anything is much better than nothing.

dcarp
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lubrication on baler chains Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Xs 2. Spray them before each use

MJMJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Lubrication on baler chains Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not convinced there is a best way. I know there are plenty of people that go by the belief than any oil will just attract more dust so they do nothing. And honestly I don't think their chains fail any different than the ones that are lubed.
Still, I either paint on used oil or use aerosol lube. I much prefer the aerosol.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Lubrication on baler chains Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had an old Uni Sheller onetime I was young and tired of always being alll oil from oiling chains and greasing so I quit oiling the main sheller chain that drove the rotor. It got hot and stiff in a couple days of use. I went back to oiling and no more trouble from it. SO oiling is proven to me it helps. Anything is better than none No Iodine would not be better.

diesel fumes
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Lubrication on baler chains Reply to specific post Reply with quote

aerosol dry lube

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Lubrication on baler chains Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Deere offers autoluber. Oils everytime gate opens.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Lubrication on baler chains Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use used motor oil to lube my baler chains. The main drive chains on my NH850 look like they have been soaking in oil and that is even after sitting out in the weather all winter long

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Lubrication on baler chains Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i run the baler at idle and use gear oil on them from a bottle at a slow flow. gear oil sticks to the chain not like ordinary oil that runs away faster. the ideal way is to remove chains and soak them in gear oil. its the inside of the links where u want lube.

300jk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication on baler chains Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just used engine oil. I dont see chaff and hay dust as being nearly as abrasive as dirt dust. I have a 7 3pt hitch snowblower and that gets the same treatment same as any chain on any piece of equipment we have.

Texasmark
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication on baler chains Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use foam chain lube in the aerosol can from the farm store, several brands out that that foam up and dissolve into the chain links. Just get the roller rolling, mind your safety manners, and spray away. I also spray idler bearings and anything eise I see turning...doesn't hurt and might help a 1991 JD 375 roller. I don't worry about the dust that collects on the exterior of the chain, it works itself out to the non contact areas anyway. Been doing it for as long as I can remember and never lost a chain...and JD balers, if you buy them used like I have had to, there is always a deformed piece of sheet metal where the PO didn't grease his chains and one tried to go through the steel plate.

wolfman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lubrication on baler chains Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use old engine oil but I apply it at the end of the day when the chains are warm. i figure the oil gets into the rollers better when warm.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters