Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Storing Binders and Chains?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim in New York
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Storing Binders and Chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been thinking of a way to put some kind of box in the front bin of my 16' trailer to hold the binders and chains and rachet straps when hauling my tractor to pulls. Can't just leave them laying on the trailer or in the truck bed or they might walk. And don't really want to lug them in and out of the back seat of the truck. And don't want to put a tool box across the front of the bed.

I need something that can be bolted or welded down so it can't be picked up, weather proof if possible so it won't rot or rust inside, and with a heavy lock that can't be easily pried open. And big enough for 4 chains and binders. Anyone figured this out already?

Thanks,
Tim

RobCons
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing Binders and Chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What about mounting an aluminum truck box on the trailer? They come in numerous sizes and configurations. I put an underbody on my gooseneck for chain/binder and general storage.

ramblineagle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing Binders and Chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I made a steel box using 1/8 inch thick flat steel sheet welded to the front of my goose neck trailer, welded a loop and heavy hasp also welded hinges on the lid and use a paddle lock to keep it secure from chains and binders from growing legs and walking away.

SkipperII
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing Binders and Chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you type trailer tongue box into your search, all kinds of boxes come up, from a little over $100.

Tim in New York
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Storing Binders and Chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. Lots of things to choose from.

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Storing Binders and Chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe even a heavyduty metal drawer under trailer in front of wheels.
Could even be one drawer as long as width of trailer deck.
Then once un locked, you could pull it open from either side of trailer.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing Binders and Chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Aluminum trapezoid shape tool box mounts on tongue. Got mine off Amazon.

Mark-Ia
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Storing Binders and Chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Expanded metal under the hitch area, 1/8 plate with hinge on the top

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing Binders and Chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a homemade trailer, and the box is just like that. Cheap and easy to build.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing Binders and Chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have two over the counter tow chains, they fit neatly in a gallon paint can. Need be you can put the lid on too. Home depot has started selling empty plastic paint cans so it could be kept in the weather without the can rusting.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing Binders and Chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

20 years of otr driving and only had somebody steel my Tarp straps once at FT.Worth TX at a Richie bros auction. Never had a chain stolen or strap.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Storing Binders and Chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bolted a pickup toolbox in the v on the neck on my big gooseneck

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters