Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Marks 58 861D paint search ( never ending)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tugman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Marks 58 861D paint search ( never ending) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I tried to purchase online from tsc the majic " antique " series medium gray and red/orange, thought it was a done deal but no.
After a week of waiting and 3 phone calls to their cs I told them to cancel the order.
I was told by them that they are not to take anymore orders for that particular product! They couldn't even tell me if my order would be shipped 😒
Why use paint you can't replace, I did find a post in the n tractor forums ( old one) by raven and he gave the so called recipe for tisco medium gray.
I recognized the measuring system as the same one used by home depot, went there today and they were able to mix it up in rustoleum.
It's greenish alright, but it's a cheap way to test a color so I'll clear coat it tomorrow and see what it looks like in the sun.
Meanwhile I have the 2 new current ppg paint codes from a poster here, I did give them to my local auto paint store and they can do a spray can of each for 24 bucks apiece (kind of a spendy test) they did offer to just mix up a small amount so I could at least see it for free 😉

I'll post a follow up picture tomorrow after the clear coat and do the picture outside in natural light 👍

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Marks 58 861D paint search ( never ending) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sometimes when I read things like this I'm actually glad that I'm color blind and don't have to worry whether a paint color is "correct". My entire house is decorated, inside and out, in black, white, gray and silver... At least that's what it looks like to me. ;-)

This post was edited by Sean in PA on 06/18/2021 at 07:07 pm.

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Marks 58 861D paint search ( never ending) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rust oleum.....brushed on. Right out of
bucket.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Marks 58 861D paint search ( never ending) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Correct medium gray:

tugman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Marks 58 861D paint search ( never ending) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:58:26 06/19/21)

Correct medium gray:

I know it is Very Happy .....
That picture of your tractor is one of about 17 I have downloaded and saved in my tablet for reference, various xx1's in various lighting conditions.
What would be really helpful is if you still have the paint code for it or the can with dried paint on it that could be scanned thus generating a "recipe "......
I was grit blastng some tin parts tonight and discovered under the hood a nice sized patch of the red in beautiful shape !
I thought of you right away and so I set it aside and will have it scanned tomorrow WOOOO HOOOO !
I may call it " Showcrop red"
I played with the rustoleum sample ( tiso recipe ) more tonight and its starting to look promising, it may not look like it in the pictures but the gray is starting to come out more and the " baby poop" green is lightening up nicely ...

This post was edited by tugman on 06/19/2021 at 11:02 pm.

tugman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Marks 58 861D paint search ( never ending) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grampa love -
And you did a great job too !
I've been following some of your posts about what you've been doing with your 961 , so keep posting and I'll keep following 👍
BTW just rebuild my dbl clutch, it was a very resent new install by po but the oil leaks killed it.... 150 bucks to get the clutches re-lined locally... not bad
Scrolling looks great :D

This post was edited by tugman on 06/20/2021 at 04:00 am.

tugman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Marks 58 861D paint search ( never ending) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great insight!
Thanks Sean I follow your posts as well Laughing

tugman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Marks 58 861D paint search ( never ending) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I finally have what I believe are three test pieces of medium gray, each one is just a hair lighter in green and more on the gray side.
My wife who used to be a commercial painter suggested adding a just a drop or two of red to the test batch to bring out the gray in the paint.
She came down to my shop to help me out, she added two drops of red and presto there it was the gray jumped right out!
She continued adding two small drops at a time until I thought we were very close on the color. Then made three test pieces each one more gray and less green tint than the last.
They are drying in a nice warm shop ( cold up north tonight) and I will post some pictures of them in natural sunlight on Monday , so we'll see....
A lot depends on the background color and how much sunlight you're getting.

Off Road SHO
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Marks 58 861D paint search ( never ending) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:58:26 06/19/21)

Correct medium gray:

Is it just me or does that grey look like battleship grey? I could totally see the paint guys at Ford looking up at a picture of Henry Ford on the wall and deciding on a paint that they could get for pennies a gallon at the time.

Tom

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Marks 58 861D paint search ( never ending) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Off Road SHO wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:56:49 06/21/21)
showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:58:26 06/19/21)

Correct medium gray:

Is it just me or does that grey look like battleship grey? I could totally see the paint guys at Ford looking up at a picture of Henry Ford on the wall and deciding on a paint that they could get for pennies a gallon at the time.

Tom

Off road SHO, you could very well be correct on the paint used on the Fordsons and the 9Ns and 2Ns, but it got much lighter for the 8Ns jubes and X00s, which were all the same. The XX1s got a strange VERY different gray. I see it as having a slightly yellowish tan tint to it.

tugman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Marks 58 861D paint search ( never ending) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:07:48 06/21/21) [quote="Off Road SHO"](quoted from post at 06:56:49 06/21/21) [quote="showcrop"](quoted from post at 20:58:26 06/19/21)

Correct medium gray:

Tom[/quote]

Off road SHO, you could very well be correct on the paint used on the Fordsons and the 9Ns and 2Ns, but it got much lighter for the 8Ns jubes and X00s, which were all the same. The XX1s got a strange VERY different gray. I see it as having a slightly yellowish tan tint to it.[/quote]

I agree there is some kind of tint to it , but to figure out what and how much is the hard part.
Different cameras will pickup colors differently and as I've said background and lighting play a roll as well as can be seen below.

I'm seeing a greenish in some and tan in others, I am working off the "tisco" color.
I think it was Tim D that said the tisco was too greenish for his taste , I will however compare what I have today with what my local AP store has for the new ppg paint codes that another person posted...

Orange Spitfire sounds interesting .... I like " showcrop red"

This post was edited by tugman on 06/21/2021 at 12:02 pm.

tugman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Marks 58 861D paint search ( never ending) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It changed in 58 for the XX1s series, ford went to medium gray and a red/orange , it took me a bit to track down your post as I use modern version in the forums.
Thanks Andy

This post was edited by tugman on 06/21/2021 at 04:13 pm.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters