Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8N with 12volt battery - all else original

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 8N with 12volt battery - all else original Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mr.precision wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:13:11 06/17/21) Hood is off.... gas tank full of rust. So I can't run it right now and check the generator output.
Here's pictures of the generator and the terminal block, which has the original ballast resistor. I still don't know if the coil is 12v or 6v.

Looks pretty original!

Jim L WA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 8N with 12volt battery - all else original Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That generator sure looks original. Another thing you can do is, remove the coil and with your ohm meter, measure the resistance from the top of the coil to the pig tail. A 6 volt coil will measure around 1 ohm and a 12 volt coil will be 2-3 ohms.

mr.precision
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N with 12volt battery - all else original Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I measured the voltage at the coil, with points open. 12.5v as seen in the first picture.
I then bumped the motor until the points closed. Second picture. It would appear the original ballast resistor is dropping the voltage to 3.33v. I don't know if that's a correct number or not. If it is, then I will leave things as they are.
Thanks for all the comments.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N with 12volt battery - all else original Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mr.precision wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:11:45 06/17/21) I measured the voltage at the coil, with points open. 12.5v as seen in the first picture.
I then bumped the motor until the points closed. Second picture. It would appear the original ballast resistor is dropping the voltage to 3.33v. I don't know if that's a correct number or not. If it is, then I will leave things as they are.

I. CAll that good!

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: 8N with 12volt battery - all else original Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:29:52 06/18/21) [quote="mr.precision"](quoted from post at 19:11:45 06/17/21) I measured the voltage at the coil, with points open. 12.5v as seen in the first picture.

[
I. CAll that good![/quote]

Don't you hate it when people perform simple reliable diagnostic checks and provide hard data with clear descriptions of test conditions. No endless churning threads with vague meaningless descriptions. Real killjoys Wink

TOH

This post was edited by TheOldHokie on 06/18/2021 at 04:32 am.

mr.precision
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: 8N with 12volt battery - all else original Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HaHa thanks for the "compliment".
I presume 3 volts is adequate, and that the factory resistor can function reliably dropping 12v to 3v.
As you know, a ballast resistor drops voltage and creates heat in doing so.
If/when the 12v battery goes out, I will go back to 6v and get the charging system in order.
For now, the current 12v battery and a tender will be fine.

JerryLook
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N with 12volt battery - all else original Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My dad has an 8N that he jumps all the time with a 12 volt battery. His 6 volt battery is dead and he doesnt want to buy another one. He told me he wants to just install the 12 volt battery in the tractor, and would that hurt anything. Since were talking about this I have a couple questions for you guys.

What would the voltage be after the resistor with a 6 volt battery? Will the 12 volt battery hurt the points long term?

Sorry to thread jack. Thanks Wink

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N with 12volt battery - all else original Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mr.precision wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:22:58 06/18/21) HaHa thanks for the "compliment".
I presume 3 volts is adequate, and that the factory resistor can function reliably dropping 12v to 3v.
As you know, a ballast resistor drops voltage and creates heat in doing so.
If/when the 12v battery goes out, I will go back to 6v and get the charging system in order.
For now, the current 12v battery and a tender will be fine.

It was a compliment and well deserved. Personally I would stay 12v and fix the charging system to match

JMO,

TOH

mr.precision
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 8N with 12volt battery - all else original Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment TOH. I really appreciate your input.
I will try to answer Jerry's question. The ballast resistor, which is in the picture, reduces voltage to the points. I do not know what the voltage at the points should be with a 6 volt battery...... but in a vintage auto with a 12 v battery, it is usually 6-7 volts downstream of the resistor.
My 8N has the factory wiring, or replacement wiring, in place. The only thing the PO did was place a 12v battery in place of the original design 6v battery. AND he wired it up NEG ground. As you know, the original set up was POS ground.
The system seems to work and the 3.3v to the points appears adequate. So I'm leaving it as it is.
You might check the voltage to the points at the connection on top of the coil. If the points close, and you still have 12v, then let us know.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters