Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Gear shift lever pin advice requested

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom/Idaho
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Gear shift lever pin advice requested Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1951 8N
Transmission cover removed to replace the gear shift lever pin 9N 7221-B
Removed Shift lever (8N7209-C) from transmission case cover and have a new pin on the way.
Tried Hydraulic press, no luck going either way.
New pin has serrations on one end and I don't know which way to push.
I can heat it with rose bud if that is recommended or take it to machine shop.
New pin is 1/4 x 1-1/2 with about 1/4 serrations on one end to hold it in place/ per the picture.
Thanks for any advice, Tom/Idaho

Tom/Idaho
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gear shift lever pin advice requested Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Disregard.
Thanks anyway, Tom/Idaho

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Gear shift lever pin advice requested Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you get it out? I never got one out, ended up getting a used top cover off of ebay! I do have a good top cover that you can have for the cost of shipping! let me know. It is just gathering dust in my shop!

Tom/Idaho
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear shift lever pin advice requested Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got it out. Ground down what was left of the pin sticking out on both sides till all I could see were the faint small circles of the pin. Then heated it cherry red and got lucky with a punch and hammer. Hit the non serrated end first and it moved.
Thanks for your reply and offer, but this one is salvaged.
Tom/Idaho

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear shift lever pin advice requested Reply to specific post Reply with quote

R Geiger wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:37:42 06/20/21) Did you get it out? I never got one out, ended up getting a used top cover off of ebay! I do have a good top cover that you can have for the cost of shipping! let me know. It is just gathering dust in my shop!
what do you think it would cost to ship it to Texas?

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear shift lever pin advice requested Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:50:57 06/20/21) [quote="R Geiger"](quoted from post at 13:37:42 06/20/21) Did you get it out? I never got one out, ended up getting a used top cover off of ebay! I do have a good top cover that you can have for the cost of shipping! let me know. It is just gathering dust in my shop!
what do you think it would cost to ship it to Texas?[/quote]Don't have clue, but I could box it up and take it to the post office and find out! Got a zipcode?

This post was edited by R Geiger on 06/20/2021 at 03:52 pm.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear shift lever pin advice requested Reply to specific post Reply with quote

R Geiger wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:45:22 06/20/21)
JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:50:57 06/20/21)
R Geiger wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:37:42 06/20/21) Did you get it out? I never got one out, ended up getting a used top cover off of ebay! I do have a good top cover that you can have for the cost of shipping! let me know. It is just gathering dust in my shop!
what do you think it would cost to ship it to Texas?
Don't have clue, but I could box it up and take it to the post office and find out! Got a zipcode?

This post was edited by R Geiger on 06/20/2021 at 03:52 pm.
75093-7596

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear shift lever pin advice requested Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK got it, I will find out tomorrow and drop you an email!

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear shift lever pin advice requested Reply to specific post Reply with quote

R Geiger wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:01:19 06/20/21) OK got it, I will find out tomorrow and drop you an email!
Thank you. I have been dealing with this floppy shifter for tooooo long and never been able to remove the pin.

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear shift lever pin advice requested Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:06:57 06/20/21)
R Geiger wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:01:19 06/20/21) OK got it, I will find out tomorrow and drop you an email!
Thank you. I have been dealing with this floppy shifter for tooooo long and never been able to remove the pin.
tHE SWITCH WORKED GOOD WHEN i REMOVED THE COVER. I bought it just to get ne with a BIG knob. At the time I did not know I could have just changed the knob. It does need a bit of cleaning and the rubber boot is gone but it has been sitting here way too long!!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters