Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Stuck PTO for 8n

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonTheNewby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Stuck PTO for 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes its stuck... old posts talk about cutting it out. But is there another way?

Currently the rear housing is drained and separated from the center housing (assume I have those terms correct). Both side panels have been removed so have plenty of access (the whole back of the machine is a big rusty mess and all gaskets are leaking including the PTO.

So I might as well go all in and update the PTO while I'm at it.

I've got it about an 1 1/4 out the back and now it won't go in and it won't come out.

Is there something I can remove so it comes out or do I still need to cut it out?

Smokeonthewater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck PTO for 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you'd be money and time ahead to pick up another tractor if it's that rusty.....

My guess tho is that you need to get a bigger hammer and knock it back in....

Don't try to drive it all the way out.... knock it back and forth w plenty of lube trying to move 1/4" further out each time

This post was edited by Smokeonthewater on 06/20/2021 at 03:05 pm.

DonTheNewby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck PTO for 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Smokeonthewater wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:04:31 06/20/21) Sounds like you'd be money and time ahead to pick up another tractor if it's that rusty.....

My guess tho is that you need to get a bigger hammer and knock it back in....

Don't try to drive it all the way out.... knock it back and forth w plenty of lube trying to move 1/4" further out each time

This post was edited by Smokeonthewater on 06/20/2021 at 03:05 pm.

I can give that a shot. I was exaggerating a little on rust, most of the rear is rusted from lack of paint but not bad. Just the top plate under the seat.

But thank you!!

Smokeonthewater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck PTO for 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gotcha.... thought you meant the inside was rusty.... carry on Cool

flembo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck PTO for 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I normally don't jump in and give advice unless I have had the same issue and fixed it myself. I have pulled several PTO shafts and replaced bearings and seals and have also swapped one out for the newer 3/8 shaft but, all mine have come out easy and gone in the same. What I have read here is the PTO shaft is prone to get twisted at the splines on the pump end when a PTO driven attachment hits something hard like a rock stopping it abruptly. The bad news is the suggested remedy is to cut the shaft before and after the pump and then drop the pump out the bottom. Like I said I never had that problem just read about it here, so hopefully someone with more knowledge will jump in.

DonTheNewby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck PTO for 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-flembo wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:19:05 06/21/21) I normally don't jump in and give advice unless I have had the same issue and fixed it myself. I have pulled several PTO shafts and replaced bearings and seals and have also swapped one out for the newer 3/8 shaft but, all mine have come out easy and gone in the same. What I have read here is the PTO shaft is prone to get twisted at the splines on the pump end when a PTO driven attachment hits something hard like a rock stopping it abruptly. The bad news is the suggested remedy is to cut the shaft before and after the pump and then drop the pump out the bottom. Like I said I never had that problem just read about it here, so hopefully someone with more knowledge will jump in.

I think I read the same past post... was hoping to avoid cutting it but fear you are correct. I'll try the previous suggestion to work it back and forth while lubing it up... if that doesn't work... bringing out the reciprocal.

flembo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck PTO for 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good luck I wouldn't be looking forward to that job.

Smokeonthewater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck PTO for 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah your original post lead me to believe it was rusted in place...
If it's twisted it might not respond to my suggestion so well...

Smokeonthewater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck PTO for 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just did a little research on it.... apparantly it's also possible for the front to be mushroomed.... if it were me, and I couldn't tap it out, I'd split the tractor.... not nearly as bad of a job as it sounds like....

Then grind down the mushroom, or torch off the twist....

DonTheNewby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck PTO for 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had draining the oil and split the tractor over the weekend, so I could go ahead and sand it down, paint it and replace the gaskets.

Because the rear exterior was pretty rusted, I figured it'd be easier to clean it up really good and... if I had to cut the PTO out, the whole thing would be open.

In the end, I decided to get a little aggressive...

I took a smallish mallet and worked the PTO back and forth several times and finally went at it - being as careful as I could.

With some work and second mallet so I could keep the head flat and not flatten the end of the PTO... it finally popped out the back.

I really didn't want to cut it and make a big mess.

My biggest fear always, is breaking something that I can't fix or find a replacement part. This is all completely new to me.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Smokeonthewater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck PTO for 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One in a while all it takes is someone hollering "hit it with ur purse Nancy" LOL

DonTheNewby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck PTO for 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LOL, sure does.

walt83SC
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck PTO for 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a similar issue this past Sunday. Here's a picture of how I got it out yesterday evening.

(If the picture doesn't work, I took four 3/8"x 6" carriage bolts, stuck them through the flange, and put two nuts on the end toward the housing. Left one nut at the end of the bolt against the housing, and backed the other nut out against the flange. Then I just went around in a circle, backing each nut out a turn or so at a time until it just dropped out. Very low impact, didn't have to crank on the nuts that hard.)

walt83SC
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck PTO for 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/pieces/c51500.jpg

This post was edited by walt83SC on 06/30/2021 at 05:18 am.

DonTheNewby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck PTO for 8n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

walt83SC wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:17:34 06/30/21) http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/pieces/c51500.jpg

This post was edited by walt83SC on 06/30/2021 at 05:18 am.

Certainly a lot more thoughtful then my hammer!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters