Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Overhauling my 806

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dugger
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Overhauling my 806 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey guys
Im in the process of overhauling my 806 diesel and need
To know what is the best engine kit to get
Any suggestions would be helpful
Thanks
Dugger

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Overhauling my 806 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You will need to more importantly then whose kit you get, check the counter bores in the top of the block and check for flatness of both head and block before buying any parts.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Overhauling my 806 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These Kits have been used often and help support the site we enjoy. Jim
Right here on YT.

Dugger
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Overhauling my 806 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-caterpillar guy"](reply to post at 08:45:27 06/20/21) [/quote]

Block is good
Bores are good
Crank is turned
Cam is new
Just need some advice on kits
Thanks

EP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhauling my 806 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good luck, I haven't seen a decent kit in
years. Unfortunately there isn't even a
more expensive kit that is a better
quality. Even the expensive green kits
aren't what they use to be. Just got an
OEM from them that had a .025 thick head
gasket and the pistons protruded .015. Not
saying an aftermarket kit won't work but
you must check every sleeve, piston, ring
end gap, every bearing, head gasket
thickness. Not uncommon for new sleeves
and pistons to have more clearance than
one that is worn out. The aftermarket
engine business is a mess. Not trying to
be Mr negative but be cautious with every
part.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhauling my 806 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welp not to be Mr. Neg. here BUT over hauling a D or D T 361-407 really not for the novice . As this is NOT lets just stuff parts at it and all will be good. You say your block is good to go NOT . Did you have it LINE BORED ???? These blocks CORE SHIFT . No you just don't have some get in and get out machine shop line HONE IT ya have it LINE BORED then ya bore the block .010 over off the center line of the crank and fit each sleeve to the hole , you also do the counter bores so all sleeves stand out to SPEC's . then each piston is FIT to the bore once all sleeves have been checked for wrinkling yep they will wrinkle . I get my parts from a jobber supply house and piece a kit together . i use Victor gskt. Perfect circle pistons , sleeves and rings, Clevite bearings . And don't for get to have the rods done on both ends. Head work ah here again vary important to get the valves set in correctly . they are vary fussy on how the valves set in the head.

Dugger
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhauling my 806 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-the tractor vet"](reply to post at 20:31:05 06/20/21) [/quote]

Always mr negative
The rest of us are just dumb
My machinist included
I just wanted to know what kits are available
I will quit asking

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Overhauling my 806 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ZI was just tryen to help ya , i have seen several guys plum screw up when tryen to do one , one guy destroyed five blocks and none lasted past 30 hours of run time . Like i said on KITS i deal with and engine parts jobber and we peace meal a good kit together with USA made parts . NOT everybody knows all the little quarks . Or has done many rebuilds . I have seen a lot of socalled machine shops that really do not know what they are doing . Yep i am OCD when it comes to engine building been that way for darn near 60 years . So yep i do not think i know more then most i know it.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Overhauling my 806 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The market for "kits" has dwindled greatly over the years. What old tractors needed overhauled, have been overhauled, and they just don't get the hours on them like they used to so they last forever.

That means you don't have many choices like you used to. Reliance (which many people hate) and ???

EP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Overhauling my 806 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those are all critical things to do on those 361 to 407 blocks. I believe they are one of the most difficult engines to get right. I don't know what you have against line honing? Unless the tunnel is way out of wack or has damage to a housing bore. If the caps are cut properly cut not just throw on the cap grinder and whacked, 9 out of 10 blocks only need a couple thou taken off. I do realize with line honing if you butcher a bunch off of the caps too much material will need to taken from the block as the hone takes equal amounts from the block and caps. This would result in loosing your gear lash. The block can also be honed in the upright position to help take more from the caps. I suspect you once had a line hone done by an inferior shop and they screwed it up. But what do I know, I run a crank grinder and CNC equipment and make a living in the tenths of thousands of an inch

MikeJM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Overhauling my 806 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I dont understand why some of you guys are stuck on the sleeve counter bore? The sleeve on these engines doesnt sit on the flange, it relies on the heavy press fit to stay in place. The sleeve on a D/DT407 is supposed to be .040 above the deck.

Whats important on these engines is the parent bore is straight and round with the proper dimensions to get the proper press fit. Once the sleeve is installed it should be checked and roundness and honed to get it there.

Like others have said, kits are getting more difficult to get. Recently couldnt get standard main bearings and the kit I did manage to find after many hours of calling around. And two of the lower shells were .020 under.

I dont enjoy doing them, especially the head, theyre just big and heavy.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Overhauling my 806 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is the big thing with the with the hone , i prefer to just lightly dust the block and take a little more from the caps . engine machinists that know what they are doing around here are getting fewer by the day. And young people want nothing to do with it or even try and learn . I had one vary close friend that had the best shop this side of the big creek .Dick and i went back to 1961 together as he was five years older then me when we first meet . He was working as a diesel mechanic and me i was mowing lawns and sweeping out the shop and offices. when i became of age for the CAR and the lest go fast bug bit it was the OLD GUYS that helped me and taught me how to . The grass mowing and sweeping gave way to learning the finer arts of welding , fabing ,engine rebuilding , trans missions, finial drivers , truck driving , and equipment operation, and learning how to do machine work . . During the off season we spent the winter months getting ready for the dirt moving months . Everything was done in HOUSE . Dick left and went on his own in 65 starting in a Gulf Gas station that be came Ford central for performance . Little at a time he kept building his shop till he moved out in the bushes away from prying eyes and kept on building his shop bigger with the latest equipment . He had a line bore that could do a V 16 . Yes i could set up a block and line bore , not as fast as he could . Loved his boring bar set up only one this side of the big creek . Could bore a 2.5 horse Briggs or a huge V16 diesel up to 12 inch bore . Line bore a block , take it over to the boring bar and set up off the center line of the crank pop out any dowell pins and deck the block cut the counter bores then do a + .010 over bore to correct any core shift on a D 361 -Dt407 and it was perfect . All was good till his health went down hill , he tried to teach his kid to take over but his kid wanted nothing to do with it . Dick offered it to me but there was no way i could come up with that kind of money as my friendly banker was NOT that friendly . Now around here we are hard pressed to find a place to do good work in a timely fashion . Or one that even has a clue of how to do the job .

used red MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Overhauling my 806 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would have hoped Pete 23 would chime in, he always
seems to be soldid in IH knowledge and would hope he
could make a recommendation, no email either. I do not have enough
experience with putting in tractor kits. Used to be you could trust
Perfect Circle kits but I think they are now only available for
common automotive applications. Only thing I might
suggest is calling Elmers Repair in KS ..see link.. not sure
what brand they carry but I dont think he is the type to
send junk out the door.
Poke here

Fritz Maurer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Overhauling my 806 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I thought core shift occurred before the block was poured. How does this affect what Dugger wants to do?

Fritz Maurer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Overhauling my 806 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never mind. I see what youre talking about now.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters