Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Welder Thoughts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bookman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Welder Thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I looked through the forum and found some recommendations, but let me more specific to my needs. I have an old Forney welder I inherited from my father-in-law. I would guess it is from the 50s. It is no
longer working. I tried a local welding supplier. They do work on them but say parts are hard to get and a month or so to just look at it. Maybe it is time for it to give up the ghost. Here are the
questions: is it worth salvaging? I just do occasional welding and usually pretty light duty stuff. Any parts in (e.g.) copper) that a salvage yard would want? I have looked on the Internet and there are
buzz box for $200+ to $400. What are the pros and cons of them for light duty welding? Thanks in advance.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Welder Thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you done any simple checks on your welder? I have an old welder that quit working. I replaced the on-off switch and it was as good as new again.

I know a guy who replaced his welder because the old one quit working. He plugged the new one in and it wouldn't work either. A little checking in the shop found that something had failed in the welder supply circuit. I wasn't involved, so I don't know the details.

I'm sure you've done all of this, but I thought I'd throw out the possibilities, just in case. Those old Forneys were good welders - more than adequate for occasional light use.

DR. EVIL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Welder Thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like PJH said, make double sure your welder problem isn't the wiring running TO the Forney welder. Those old Buzz Boxes are so simple, not much can go wrong with them. Those welders are mostly heavy copper wire coils, and maybe an On/Off switch, My Will Weld buzz box doesn't have a switch, for the 60+ years Dad and I have used it we switched it on at the fuse box or circuit breaker.
There should be some way to remove a cover and see the internal parts, my Will-Weld has 4 5/16 capscrews holding to top on the steel box, everything else is copper. If you scrap your welder, check the AMERICAN METAL MARKET, it's the Wall Street Journal of the scrap and recycled metal markets.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Welder Thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As said, they are very simple, not much to go wrong.

Typical failures are the cord got jerked loose from the plug or the switch, mud dobbers built a nest inside the switch, a broken or loose transformer lead. Usually a visual inspection will reveal the problem.

Bookman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Welder Thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody for responding. I have not taken the cover off and checked. I assume with the unit unplugged that all is safe inside? Correct? Thanks again

bc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Welder Thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know if it has any capacitors but they discharge over time anyway with the power off. If it does have any big capacitors then just jump across the terminals to discharge them holding the insulated handle(s) of a screwdriver or needle nose pliers or use rubber gloves of course with the welder unplugged.

I had a welder that had a fuse in it. Look for anything with burned black marks. Look for any burn marks around the transformer.

da.bees
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder Thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No. Never assume anything is safe when it come's to electrical. Capacitors inside this welder hold a charge even when machine is not plugged in.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder Thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't do a lot of welding. I have a 15 year old Lincoln tombstone buzz box. Does 99% of my welding. I have a 220v wire welder. Rarely use it.

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder Thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Geo-TH,In wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:22:24 06/21/21) I don't do a lot of welding. I have a 15 year old Lincoln tombstone buzz box. Does 99% of my welding. I have a 220v wire welder. Rarely use it.

My Lincoln 240 buzz box I bought new back in about 1962.

Dusty

Bookman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder Thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know.

Bookman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder Thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks much!!!

Moonlite37
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Welder Thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No steel core?

560Dennis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Welder Thoughts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What exactly is wrong with the forney? Have contact there( forney ) customer service for advice . I would call them ,cause I think the local guy wants to sell new one. Cost wise the cant justify the time and labor cost .
Here is forney number 1 800 521 6038
Or go to welding web forum they are very helpful

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters