Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Allis Chalmers WD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhncp
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Allis Chalmers WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought a wd at a auction and it has
very low oil pressure close to none. I
checked the gage with air compresser and
seems ok. I checked rod bearings and they
all seem to have about .004. I noticed an
issue, the #2 rod is backwards, the tangs
are on the right side and the rest are on
the left. I am wondering if I can turn it
if the pistons don't matter. (Leaving head
on) also advice on oil pressure.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oil pressure can be low due to having the wrong filter on it or the tube that goes up into the filter being gone either can cause that

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Define close to none. They only made 15 psi or so in tip top shape. Old is right though. Make sure the filter is filled with cotton and NOT paper and make sure the tube in the filter base is there and goes up through the filter media.
AaronSEIA

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You cannot just spin the piston and rod in place. The rods are offset on the piston and bad things would happen very fast if you did it. Not sure the rod would go back on the crank anyway. Its ran as long as it has, I'd leave it and do it right in a rebuild down the road.
AaronSEIA
PS:
Worn cam bearings can also cause low oil pressure. The cam is hollow and is the main oil galley for the crank.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Along with what the others said you also need the correct guage. It should say Allis Chalmers and have a normal range. If it's a regular 60-80 lb oil guage it's not going to move much

jhncp
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It does have the original gauge and it only moves about about 1/8

jhncp
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there any way to tell if the piston is
backwards underneath or is there no
difference?

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It may have an arrow stamped or cast in the top. If it's running, I'd leave it alone. With the rods at .004, trying to flip a piston would probably turn into a complete overhaul.
AaronSEIA

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WD Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If its putting oil up to the rocker arms I'd run it,I had a WD I used with a loader for years that had 1 lb oil pressure at best.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters