Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Transmission Oil - NH 134 vs HyTran

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrslv
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Transmission Oil - NH 134 vs HyTran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can I use HyTran hydraulic oil instead of NH 134 transmission oil on my Ford 5000? I can't seem to find their specs online.

The operator's manual calls for Ford M-2C41-A for the transmission (select-o-speed) and Ford M-2C53-A for the hydraulic / rear axle. But I read somewhere on this forum that (a) Ford M-2C41-A oil was superseded by the M2C134D spec, and (b) at some point Ford started recommending using the same oil for both the transmission and the rear axle. I found a local CASE dealership that carries both 134 and HyTran oils for roughly the same price (and it's about some 30% higher than JD HyGuard, which I found strange).

Anyway, I read many good things about HyTran oil's ability to absorb moisture, which I think is good for a tractor with occasional light use and infrequent maintenance cycle, but I'm not sure if they would provide the same characteristics as the recommended oil.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Jaroslav

Check Break
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Oil - NH 134 vs HyTran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jrslv wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:53:18 06/22/21) Can I use HyTran hydraulic oil instead of NH 134 transmission oil on my Ford 5000? I can't seem to find their specs online.

The operator's manual calls for Ford M-2C41-A for the transmission (select-o-speed) and Ford M-2C53-A for the hydraulic / rear axle. But I read somewhere on this forum that (a) Ford M-2C41-A oil was superseded by the M2C134D spec, and (b) at some point Ford started recommending using the same oil for both the transmission and the rear axle. I found a local CASE dealership that carries both 134 and HyTran oils for roughly the same price (and it's about some 30% higher than JD HyGuard, which I found strange).

Anyway, I read many good things about HyTran oil's ability to absorb moisture, which I think is good for a tractor with occasional light use and infrequent maintenance cycle, but I'm not sure if they would provide the same characteristics as the recommended oil.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Jaroslav

CNH says the NH Multi G (G134) meets or exceeds the old 134D spec. So, if you want to use NH brand fluid, theoretically you'd use the Multi G. I'm done with NH and do not use their oil. Not sure where you're located but if Valvoline is available, I'd use Valvoline Unitrac in a Selectospeed, (Vv813 if packaged in 5 gal pails). At least you'll know what you're getting.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Document/18452/393a8057-fe75-e711-9c10-ac162d889bd3/e6e6eaa5-0cbd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

Fritz Maurer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Oil - NH 134 vs HyTran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An important feature, for tractors in your era, is the
anti-chatter additive for the brakes. If they are not
chattering now, and you just want to top off, you can
use pretty much anything. But if youre doing
drain/refill/filter, Id go with 134, especially if they
are the same price. Other oils you risk brake
chatter, then you have to buy a quart of anti-chatter
to make it stop.

jrslv
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Oil - NH 134 vs HyTran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Fritz Maurer wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:01:38 06/23/21) An important feature, for tractors in your era, is the
anti-chatter additive for the brakes. ... Id go with 134

Well, that explains it! Apparently the oil in my tractor (which I just bought) doesn't have that additive. I did think that there is something wrong with the breaks and even started avoiding using them for slowing down.

134 it is then.

By the way, would that anti-chatter additive be beneficial for the Select-O-Speed transmission as well? From my (very cursory) reading of the workshop manual, this transmission uses sorta drum breaks to control gear selection. Switching between the speed ranges is very jerky. We'll see if the 134 trans oil fixes that.

This post was edited by jrslv on 06/23/2021 at 10:41 am.

Fritz Maurer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Oil - NH 134 vs HyTran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I dont want to give the impression that 134 is a magic bullet, but it definitely is your best bet. It may take a few days for the chatter to go away, to work the old oil out of the plates. I have 5 fords with wet brakes and Ive seen this symptom come and go so it is treatable. My most recent servicing was the 555C, in which I poured in Rural King 303 , and the brakes started chattering immediately. Added 1 bottle of genuine CNH additive and by the end of the day the brakes gave a little groan just as the tractor stopped moving. Regarding your SOS, I dont see how it would hurt it. Just from the standpoint of logic. Ford
dealers would have to stock 2 different transmission
oils, one for SOS and one for everything else. Im
sure they didnt want to do that.

sotxbill
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Oil - NH 134 vs HyTran Reply to specific post Reply with quote

being that the 5000 uses a wet pto clutch and wet brakes, you need a fluid that accounts for that. You can by a j20A fluid from tractor supply that meets 134d specs which are backwards compatible for your tractor. A 5 gallon container was on sale last week for $26.99. Some fluids have friction modifiers that will make the clutches slip or bounce or chatter as the fluid is too slippery from these additives. So getting the correct fluids it important. Remember even the sos has clutches. And yes the sos is also named the "jerkomatic" as the gears changes can be pretty rough in certain changes.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters