Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Manifold nuts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Manifold nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm putting my Super C back together after sending the head to a shop for some work. Question is does antisieze work on manifold nuts or do they get to hot for it to be worth applying.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Manifold nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use molybdenum disulfide (silver goo as my wife calls it) it will work at temp. Loctite is a good brand. Jim

DeltaSteve
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Manifold nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Silver goo it is. One drop seems to spread it self all over everything.... Your face( dont pick your nose while useing it),your clothes,the shop walls,every wrench you own.... Smile

kshansen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Manifold nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-DeltaSteve wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:41:05 06/23/21) Silver goo it is. One drop seems to spread it self all over everything.... Your face( dont pick your nose while useing it),your clothes,the shop walls,every wrench you own.... Smile

I have heard tell that that silver goo was only made in a small batch of around 1/4 cup and all of it you see these days is part of that first trial batch!

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Manifold nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe you are correct. My empty can continues to provide more than enough to cover everything, every time. Jim

Rich'sToys
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Manifold nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-DeltaSteve wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:41:05 06/23/21) Silver goo it is. One drop seems to spread it self all over everything.... Your face( dont pick your nose while useing it),your clothes,the shop walls,every wrench you own.... Smile

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Manifold nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess I am the dissenter here. I quit using the stuff after I found it would dry up and was about useless. I went back to gun grease. Yup it dries out too. Though I already have it and don't have to buy it special. It will also work even many years later in a lot of cases.

Roger in Wisconsin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Manifold nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Too funny

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Manifold nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have not known seizing to be much of a problem. if you are really concerned use brass nuts. plus these tractors never will see the heat they used to in their hard working days.

SadFarmall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Manifold nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That brings a question to mind. My F12 has brass manifold nuts and some Farmall M tractors in Australia have them too. I have one with steel and one with brass. Were brass nuts phased out or was it a wartime economy, which continued after 1945?
SadFarmall

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Manifold nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe it was an attempt to lessen the rust and seizing of steel on steel. I also believe the brass stripped out some, so that is why I use goo. I
got a tin of aero rated Mica based compound that was used on Radial aircraft plugs. It seems to be even higher temp stable than Moly. Jim

SadFarmall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Manifold nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, that makes sense to me. I have noticed that the brass nuts generally want replacing after removal. They seem to stretch too, which makes them easy to remove, but not wonderful to refit. I have a friend who might have some goo for aircraft spark plug - might be the way to go.
SadFarmall

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Manifold nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well i have used Never SLEEZE Does it work ?????? On items that you regularly take apart like truck brake anchor pins yep it works great there . Exhaust manifold bolts and nuts ????? now here i can not say for sure because usually once you put it together it is not vary often you take it back apart in a couple years . And now as for the new COPPER Never Seeze the Jury is still out on it as myself i just started usen it a couple years ago and have not had to go back in where i used it . It is suppose to have a higher heat resistance then the silver stuff . I use to use the old stuff on exhaust manifolds and turbos . But again i never had to go back in and try and remove one .

kevinj54
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Manifold nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-the tractor vet wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:43:38 06/26/21) Well i have used Never SLEEZE Does it work ?????? On items that you regularly take apart like truck brake anchor pins yep it works great there . Exhaust manifold bolts and nuts ????? now here i can not say for sure because usually once you put it together it is not vary often you take it back apart in a couple years . And now as for the new COPPER Never Seeze the Jury is still out on it as myself i just started usen it a couple years ago and have not had to go back in where i used it . It is suppose to have a higher heat resistance then the silver stuff . I use to use the old stuff on exhaust manifolds and turbos . But again i never had to go back in and try and remove one .

In the boiler business we used a lot of never seize.

We had good success with a hi temp white ceramic type.

It would dry out at high temps but left the white powder and we could most always get stuff apart when needed.

The main thing was to get something in the 2500 range.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters