Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

GM 1988-1999 5.7 no power???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cariboo4x4
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: GM 1988-1999 5.7 no power??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I have trouble shooted that my code 32 may be something other than egr system. Ive read other items can cause code 32 to arise. Has anyone here ever fixed something on their 88-99 that caused the code 32 yet was not for the egr system? Im thinking the power loss may be related to the tps yet the ecm throws a code 32 instead of the code specific to tps code. My best remedy is turn off engine and letting engine cool for 30 minutes before heading on. I notice it happens mainly when engine is warm yet not hot hot. I dont understand why engine runs so good for hour to a few hours and then lacks power gradually or quickly. Let it sit for half hour overnight and then it runs like new again. Now I know why a buddy only drives his carbed 81 Jimmy.

Jo Bird
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: GM 1988-1999 5.7 no power??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Although your not getting a code for it. My guess would be it is related to the MAP sensor rather than the TPS, as it is controlled by the engine vacuum as is the EGR. Check that out, no guarantee but worth a check and look for a vacume leaks as well . Or it could be the ECM module .

Cariboo4x4
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: GM 1988-1999 5.7 no power??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jo Bird wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:45:12 07/02/21) Although your not getting a code for it. My guess would be it is related to the MAP sensor rather than the TPS, as it is controlled by the engine vacuum as is the EGR. Check that out, no guarantee but worth a check and look for a vacume leaks as well . Or it could be the ECM module .

Thank you for the reply. I replaced MAP sensor rather TPS. No code 32 or 44 are being thrown now and no engine light. Yet after 4 hours of highway driving it hit slug mode again. Parked for 1/2 hour and powe restored. I dont see or feel any visual vacuum leaks yet will try with unlit propane torch. I have heard Fuel Pressure Regulator could be the culprit. Would the ECM do that slug mode without an engine light on?

Cariboo4x4
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: GM 1988-1999 5.7 no power??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So since I replaced MAP sensor Wednesday afternoon truck only had a low power issue that afternoon going up a steep gravel wash board road. I simply put it in 4low 1st gear and no problem getting to top of hill. Then 2high on non steep part. Since camping at top of hill (Spray Lk West Campround outside of Canmore Alberta) truck has ran awesome. Im thinking the MAP sensor being new had to relearn. I read online a new O2 sensor requires several re-starts of engine to relearn. Im not counting my eggs till they hatch. Just glad the code 32 may be solved for good maybe. Thanks Jo Bird for your help!

Nordic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GM 1988-1999 5.7 no power??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My '91 Chevy 1500, 5.7L was very much like that. It took several years 'til I found the problem. It was the catalytic converter, it was so plugged... this also accounted for the overheating issue. A 5.7L with a clean radiator is not a candidate for easily overheating. I cut out the converter, put a straight pipe in its place. My truck was back, lots of power and no more overheating issue.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Yesterday's Trucks All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters