Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

9N Has Spark Wont Start

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe.S.AK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N Has Spark Wont Start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dr,
You have fuel to the carb bowl, - BUT - do you have enough fuel (and the correct % of air) to the cylinder?
You have s o m e spark to the cylinders, and some, varying compression, but if the main jet is clogged or blocked all the fuel in the world to the carb bowl won't make it to the cylinder to be burned.
Yank the carb and check to see if it's functioning - to know if the fuel (mix) is getting to the cylinders first before you get "lost" chasing exotic things.
At times like this I remember "Ockham's Razor" - a good beginning perspective in something like this. - Joe -

This post was edited by Joe.S.AK on 07/20/2021 at 08:19 pm.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Has Spark Wont Start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Joe.S.AK wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:15:57 07/20/21) Dr,
You have fuel to the carb bowl, - BUT - do you have enough fuel (and the correct % of air) to the cylinder?
You have s o m e spark to the cylinders, and some, varying compression, but if the main jet is clogged or blocked all the fuel in the world to the carb bowl won't make it to the cylinder to be burned.
Yank the carb and check to see if it's functioning - to know if the fuel (mix) is getting to the cylinders first before you get "lost" chasing exotic things.
At times like this I remember "Ockham's Razor" - a good beginning perspective in something like this. - Joe -

This post was edited by Joe.S.AK on 07/20/2021 at 08:19 pm.
Ought to be able to keep it running as long as spraying a little, not too little & not too much starting fluid into the air intake. If can do that, carb is not delivering fuel/air mix to engine, but all else is ok.

Smokeonthewater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Has Spark Wont Start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Food for thought... yesterday my 8n was running great as usual and suddenly died on me... cranked and cranked but wouldn't start... idle w full choke, full throttle w no choke, no go, occasionally it would pop once but no more.... eventually I hiked back up to the shop and grabbed my dvom and some tools...

Power to coil, check... spark, check.... drain fuel bowl, adequate fuel flow, check... turn off fuel, let bowl drain, replace plug, turn on fuel, and she fired right up n went back to running perfect.... best I can figure the float valve got a bit of something in it and caused the engine to flood...

Dr_Rockwell14
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N Has Spark Wont Start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What do you guys think about the one cylinder not getting spark? i tested the same wire in cylinder 2 and it got spark so the wire is still good, i also tried a different plug and still had no spark. it seems odd that only the 1 cylinder isnt firing but the rest are putting out strong spark.

Joe.S.AK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N Has Spark Wont Start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dr -

Do you have points in that beauty of yours? If so then the rotor to plug wire contacts inside the cap might be (technical term here) "Goobered" for the offending wire. Could be pitted, could be fouled out, could just be something (like a crack or "dirt"?) that is internally grounding one cylinder from getting spark to the wire or just simply insulating or interrupting the contact.

I would consider carefully looking over the inside of that cap and maybe even checking electrical continuity from inside to outside of the cap for the 4 plug wires.

Have you swapped out the "old plug" with a KNOWN good one or swapped places for 2 plugs? Plug tips not carbon fouled out?

It has to be something simple if you do have spark to other cylinders. - Joe -

This post was edited by Joe.S.AK on 07/21/2021 at 11:02 pm.

Jim L WA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 9N Has Spark Wont Start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think it's time to give the old boy a good tune-up. New points, rotor, cap and condenser. Get the parts from NAPA and hope they are good.
Here are the NAPA part numbers:
Points, FD-6769X or ECH CS35
Condenser, FD-71 or ECH FA 200
Rotor: FD-71 or ECH FA300
Cap: FD-126 or ECH FA350

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters