Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

3020 Gas: Does not have full power when wide open throt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bs4u00
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: 3020 Gas: Does not have full power when wide open throt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm looking to find what is causing an issue my 3020 gas is having.

Tractor starts and generally runs well. Also runs well at half throttle or maybe a bit more. When the air temp is warmer, and I run it at wide-open throttle working land, it starts to lose power. I then have to back off the throttle and it will run better. Go wide-open again, and it happens pretty consistently. I've watched the coolant temp, and it never gets hot. No issue there. If I don't back off on throttle when its having the issue, it will lost power and stall.
When its wide-open and having the problem, I can open the choke, and it will be a little better, but still not perfect. Still does not have full pulling power, although it doesn't power down nearly as bad.

What could be causing this? Is this a carb problem? Maybe need to change the idle adjustment, or load adjustment? I can post a picture of the carb if someone can tell me how.

Thanks in advance.

This post was edited by bs4u00 on 07/21/2021 at 11:56 am.

RogerinIowa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 Gas: Does not have full power when wide open throt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fuel! Lack of fuel. Due to dirty fuel
filter, lack of full flow from tank, or
other restriction.
Possibly fuel pump.

bs4u00
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 Gas: Does not have full power when wide open throt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you. I'll replace the fuel filter and see if it still has the issue.

M w J
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 Gas: Does not have full power when wide open throt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it has the cast iron carb open the load jet on the back bottom of the bowl until it smokes then
close just till the smoke quits . We always change it depending on load work hard open more and
yard work close a little.

matthies
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 Gas: Does not have full power when wide open throt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you have the filter off, see how the fuel flows, like roger said. Take the carb side line off first and see how well the fuel flows, then take the whole filter off and check again, if not sufficient blow
air back into tank.

bs4u00
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 Gas: Does not have full power when wide open throt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

matthies, I will do that.

M w J, what setting is the load jet? Is that the small "t" handle that screws in and out? And you said open it until smokes, and then close it until stops smoking. Should this be done at low or high throttle?
And what do you set it to for yard work?

Thanks.

This post was edited by bs4u00 on 07/22/2021 at 05:52 am.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 Gas: Does not have full power when wide open throt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it runs better with a full gas tank than with an empty tank, the fuel lift pump could be the problem.

bs4u00
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 Gas: Does not have full power when wide open throt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ss, the amount of gas in tank does not make a difference.

M w J
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 Gas: Does not have full power when wide open throt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes T knob out is richer in is leaner 1 1/8 open is a starting point if it don't reach full RPM
without missing open it a little. When we plowed with it we always had it 1 1/2 turn open . If it
starts good you might not have to move it far . You will find the sweet spot if you play with it a
little.

bs4u00
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 Gas: Does not have full power when wide open throt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-M w J wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:23:30 07/22/21) Yes T knob out is richer in is leaner 1 1/8 open is a starting point if it don't reach full RPM
without missing open it a little. When we plowed with it we always had it 1 1/2 turn open . If it
starts good you might not have to move it far . You will find the sweet spot if you play with it a
little.

mwj, yes it starts good. No issue there.
I replaced the fuel filter last night. Now I have to wait for the ground to dry out, so I can test it. If it still has the issue, I'll try adjusting like you said. If it doesn't rain, I'll be able to test it next week some time, and then I'll report back.

Appreciate all the help.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters