Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ignition points keep corroding

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition points keep corroding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Charles,
If your problem was moisture related, I would think the moisture would short out
distributor before corroding points.

I would suggest you measure amps going to coil when points are closed. Should be around 4 amps. Wrong ballast
resistor, too much current and that will burn points.

Did you replace condenser?

My barn is dry too. Concrete floor. Condensation in winter can cause issues, shorts out distributor. I've never sprayed wd40 on points before. wd40 is suppose to be an insulator. I've sprayed it on volume controls to clean them. What do you have to lose if you tried it on points? Easily replace points.

Good luck

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition points keep corroding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use of the point file has made your situation worse.

Any thin corrosion protective coating present is immediately removed with a point file leaving no corrosion protection.

Dean.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition points keep corroding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had same problem for years (when not used for month or three) and I fixed up clip leads, 60W bulb, extension cord so that when run starter (IGN off), the points turn the 120v bulb on & off. This is enough voltage to blow thru the insulating corrosion. Remove clip leads, start tractor and go about my work. Quick & easy, nothing to remove.. Now the CAUTION: be very certain that you have neutral and hot of the 120v power, such that tractor chassis is the Neutral side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get it wrong and the 'tingle' could either wake up up or put you to sleep! done it many times and works wonderfully. If need diagram, I will provide. Method isn't for everyone

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition points keep corroding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No power other than a generator on the barn here . Sad

Australian standard grid power is between 230 and 240 volts A.C.. A significant 'tingle ' if i did get it wrong .
I'm going to replace the oily rags with oily towels , they might insulate the distributors a little more and prevent condensation . I will be sealing the caps as well .
No more points's filing either .
Thanks for the help

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition points keep corroding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Charles in Aus. wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:34:37 07/19/21)

Australian standard grid power is between 230 and 240 volts A.C.. A significant 'tingle ' if i did get it wrong .
I'm going to replace the oily rags with oily towels , they might insulate the distributors a little more and prevent condensation . I will be sealing the caps as well .
Thanks for the help
I don't know anything about the power system in Australia, but here, the usual 240v has both lines hot relative to Earth ground.......not good for my point clearing operation!

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition points keep corroding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:29:00 07/19/21)
Charles in Aus. wrote:

Thanks for the help
I don't know anything about the power system in Australia, but here, the usual 240v has both lines hot relative to Earth ground.......not good for my point clearing operation!

That 240 volts is between the two hot conductors, and 120 volts to Earth ground.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition points keep corroding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dusty MI wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:05:18 07/20/21)
JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:29:00 07/19/21)
Charles in Aus. wrote:

Thanks for the help

That 240 volts is between the two hot conductors, and 120 volts to Earth ground.
yes, in America, but, how in Australia?

M-MAN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition points keep corroding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now you really have my curiosity up. I
would appreciate it if you would share
the diagram.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition points keep corroding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-M-MAN wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:35:38 07/20/21) Now you really have my curiosity up. I
would appreciate it if you would share
the diagram.

zuhnc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition points keep corroding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pertronix on my 1952 8N. No issues with over 200 hours on the clock. Starts instantly, even when it is below 32*F. Your car, truck (gasoline), lawn mower, all have electronic ignition, if later than about 1980 or so. A couple of reasons I changed to electronic ignition: no more points or capacitor to fail, and moisture does not affect it at all. As long as you keep the plugs out of the water, the ignition will work, I believe. zuhnc

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition points keep corroding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The problem with Pertronix ignitions is they are reliable, until they aren't. Way too many reports of failures for my tastes.

The problem you have with a Pertronix is, if it fails to produce spark, you can't just file the points and be back in business. You are down until you can convince Pertronix to send you another one under warranty. Better have another tractor in your back pocket and hope its Pertronix hasn't decided to do a "Thelma and Louise" with the other one.

zuhnc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition points keep corroding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm just curious: you just don't like Pertronix, or electronic ignition in general? As I stated, everything since about 1980 has electronic ignition, and there have apparently been massive failures no one has ever heard about.
Suppose one has a JD tractor/combine/whatever and its electronics fail. How long does it take a service tech to arrive on site, in the middle of a field, to repair it?
Personally, I would rather have a long-term dependable ignition system than one I have to continually clean, adjust to spec, replace parts, etc. I have 30-year-old chainsaws and weed eaters with electronic ignition, with NO failures, and use all of them quite regularly.
But, to each his/her own as to what they want to put up with. zuhnc

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition points keep corroding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

zuhnc wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:57:35 07/21/21) I'm just curious: you just don't like Pertronix, or electronic ignition in general? As I stated, everything since about 1980 has electronic ignition, and there have apparently been massive failures no one has ever heard about.
Suppose one has a JD tractor/combine/whatever and its electronics fail. How long does it take a service tech to arrive on site, in the middle of a field, to repair it?
Personally, I would rather have a long-term dependable ignition system than one I have to continually clean, adjust to spec, replace parts, etc. I have 30-year-old chainsaws and weed eaters with electronic ignition, with NO failures, and use all of them quite regularly.
But, to each his/her own as to what they want to put up with. zuhnc
Well, bless you heart for all your good luck!

zuhnc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition points keep corroding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you, sir. I did have one Pertronix failure after a couple of hours, but it was my fault. Incorrect plug wires for the module - I didn't read the directions thoroughly Sad. Only a 1/4 mile walk back to the shop for repair parts. I needed the exercise Smile. zuhnc

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters