Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

not running well and back firing. IH 240

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jody72
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: not running well and back firing. IH 240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so i have been working at the neighbors and using his IH 240 and it idles fine most of the time. when tiring to use it, it like to back fire and bog down. it does not tike to go in 4th gear and tries to die most of the time when try using it. I'm new to working on a tractor

Jody

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: not running well and back firing. IH 240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fuel delivery to the carb is a first check. The carb has a drain plug in the bottom. Find a nice can and remove the plug
gas will surge out for a few seconds, then slow down to an eighth inch stream. Let it flow for one minute. It should flow a
pint or two and maintain the medium flow rate. If less, or dribbles, the screen in the sediment bowl under the tank might be
plugged, the tank outlet might be plugged, or the screen at the carb intake fitting is also subject to plugging.
An improper point gap setting is also a source of similar symptoms. The engine needs to be turned so the points are open
(cam in the distributor lifting as high as it can) then adjusted to .020 with a feeler gauge. Watch a video on how to do
it. Those will get the diagnosis process started. Jim

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: not running well and back firing. IH 240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Backfiring is electrical are the wires good pull the plugs and compare them. While they are out run a compression check it also
could be the timing is too little retarted advance timing to see if that helps. If fuel was the problem when it dies it would not
start untill carb filled again then would run just fine for a minute or so then die.

used red MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: not running well and back firing. IH 240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jody, welcome to YT! Not sure how familiar you are with using tractors. Your wording is not real clear about the use of 4th
gear. On these old Farmalls you can really only use 4th gear on a hard surface like a road, in any kind of area where it is
a little soft and the tires have quite a bit of rolling resistance trying to move from a dead stop in 4th is just not going to
happen. The gearing is such that the engine just does not have enough power to do such a task. Continually trying to do
this is very bad on the clutch due to the amount of slipping such an action takes. I do tend to agree with Jim that it sounds
like your problem is fuel related. Backfiring can be a symptom of a lean fuel condition as when the carburetor is not
getting adequate fuel flow. Run through what the others have posted. A specific item Jim mentioned is the screen in the
carb fitting can plug. Those tractors used several different types of carbs. In the attached diagram of one of the styles of
carbs used number 2 is the fitting that is being pointed out. If you are viewing this on a phone you need to click the little
picture icon at the bottom of the page to see the diagram. Hope this helps!
Carb diagram

derwen1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: not running well and back firing. IH 240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First thing I would check is oil in air filter and pre
cleaner then condition of plugs... backfiring does
suggest to me poor valve seating

Jody72
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: not running well and back firing. IH 240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so when I was talking about using 4th gear it was just to travel to my house from the neighbors on the road no hills. thanks for the help I will be checking out things soon.

Jody

derwen1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: not running well and back firing. IH 240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I should have said check condition of oil in air filter
Or even better clean out and put new

Jody72
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: not running well and back firing. IH 240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so what I have done so far. Cleaned the oil in the air filter, it was nasty and not much oil. Cleaned out the sediment bowl, it had quite a bit of sediment in it and I cleaned it out a month or two ago. Adjusted the carburetor to 1 1/2 turns it was only 1 turn out. Have not got to try it out yet as the gasket for the bowl keeps leaking now.

K-Mo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: not running well and back firing. IH 240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the timing. A tricky one is when the pin on the distributor shaft gear shears. The pin shears, but can catch enough to turn the distributor.
Seen it happen more than once. Onetime it was on my IH-240.
K-Mo

Jody72
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: not running well and back firing. IH 240 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

found the problem thought I would share. it was the coil

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters