Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Same old question.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave BN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Same old question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think I've seen this question before so please forgive me asking again. I am going to paint the rear wheels on one of my Farmall BN'S. Is their an easy/fast way to mask off the rubber? I can't imagine trying to tape around a round wheel and I hate seeing paint on tires.
Also, could I or should I try oven cleaner to prep the wheels?
Thanks.
Dave

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Same old question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use masking paper and masking tape

Dave BN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Same old question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance, what is masking paper?

JD Dave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Same old question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty much the only way with the tires mounted is to mask them off. Masking paper is sold in rolls which can be taped around areas not to be painted. You can use newspaper if you want.
Prepping the wheels would involved thorough cleaning with soap and water, wipe-down with Prep-Sol or mineral spirits, removal of any loose rust, sanding old painted surfaces carefully with 100-220 sandpaper, wipe-down again with Prep-Sol or mineral spirits and thorough priming with a self-etching primer before any topcoat.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Same old question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I shrink wrap the rubber to where there is only a little to mask between rim and the shrink wrap.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Same old question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Masking paper is like a big roll of paper grocery bags
Untitled URL Link

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Same old question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only really good way to do it is with the tires deflated. For quick and easy I cut a piece of cardboard to the arc of the wheel and slide it around as I work around.

Gtidwell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Same old question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can also use something like Crisco grease. Grease the tire sidewall. Paint the wheel, let paint cure and then wash the grease and overstay away. I have done this on wheels before. Make sure you don't get grease on wheel. I learned this from a paint and body guy.

Dave BN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Same old question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. I am the world's worst painter!
Dave

Dingo3
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Same old question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cut a long strip of cardboard at least 12 wide. Just long enough to encircle the outer rim of the wheel plus a little extra. I tape the over lapping end to get a snug fit. This is easier done with the wheel off but can be done in a pinch with it on the tractor. With the wheel and tire flat you can lay some rags on the tire to prevent over spray but if you do it right you shouldnt need any. A small brush can get the back side of the lip that the cardboard covers.

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Same old question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look for pre-taped masking film.

I have used old playing cards stuck in between rim and tire for taping more paper to.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Same old question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

news paper

BillinCentralMO
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Same old question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been a long time since I heard someone say masking paper. My folks appliance business mailed thousands of packages wrapped in that brown paper. The tape was the stuff you had to wet the adhesive on.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Same old question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-BillinCentralMO wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:38:10 09/18/21) Been a long time since I heard someone say masking paper. My folks appliance business mailed thousands of packages wrapped in that brown paper. The tape was the stuff you had to wet the adhesive on.

Bill, I remember that tape! It has been many years since I have thought of it. I think that we used it when wrapping packages of meet for the freezer.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters