Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

felt crankshaft seal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdm1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: felt crankshaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a B that needs a new rear crankshaft seal. I have a felt seal from a gasket kit. Will the felt one work? Also is there anything special I need to do to it when installing it? Thanks

Tom RS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: felt crankshaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not a mechanic but have had a little
experience with the felt type seals. 10
years we dropped the pan on our 37 WC to
pound out some dents. The seal kit
included felts for I believe the front and
back. A bit tricky to hold in place as I
recall.
The rear leaked some so rather than drop
the pan again I used a putty knife to
shove some form a gasket up into the seal
area. It worked. It's been ten years and
still holding.

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: felt crankshaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The service manual should lay out how to put it in. Press it in a vice and it'll drop into the groove better. Little RTV in the groove to hold it in place and you'll be good to go.
AaronSEIA

mdm1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: felt crankshaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My manual only mentions a cork gasket.

mdm1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: felt crankshaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Aaron I did as you said and it went in fine. Good thing I did check it as there was no gasket there at all. Thanks again.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: felt crankshaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have use the lip seal on the last two I replaced. The D 10 thru D 15 rear seal retainer uses the same bolt pattern. A few years back I set up the mill and changed a few
B seal retainers to except the lip seal. I used a speedy sleeve on the crankshaft.

mdm1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: felt crankshaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dick I envy your abilities! I have to make do with what I have and alot of advice from others. Keep sharing.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: felt crankshaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found this would work when I had one for a D 15 engine. I was able to buy one on ebay and then they must have found some made of gold or something. My responce was not
to brag but to say I have some I made up. Being crippled I will most likely never use them all. I have been blessed over the years with teachers of many skills. Keeps me
busy at 83 using some of them. Little video's is something I am trying to learn now.

click here

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: felt crankshaft seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters