Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 2110 3 cyl gas electric trouble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Branham
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Ford 2110 3 cyl gas electric trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I need advice please. I got my tractor with the house
I bought. Over the last few years Ive really dug into it. It had many
bugs and Ive conquered most of them. This year I pulled the head
and replaced or repaired everything that came off leaving the block. I
really dont know how it was running. The plug wires were out of
order, valves all too open, generator bad, wiring harness melted and
no gauges.

Now everything is installed. All new electrical components, new
gauges, throttle linkage finally working correctly and I made a new
wire harness. Also I upgraded to an electronic ignition. I built it
referencing the I&T shop manual. Well I started it after touching the
field wire to to batt it sparked. It ran quieter and smother than ever.
Then the Gen warning light came on and a tiny rise of smoke rose
from the new voltage regulator. I turned it off. In frustration I walked
away and foolishly left the battery connected, but a day and a half
later it didnt lose voltage.

Today testing the generator by hot wiring it to the battery and it spun.
I didnt have time to continue the test to check for charging.

Im reading many people have wrestled with all this too and decided
to just get the alternator conversion kit. Thats fine and Im probably
going to do that but I need to figure out why this happened with all
new stuff. Dont need to let the smoke out of anything else.

Can anyone point me in a direction please? Thank You

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2110 3 cyl gas electric trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you disconnect the regulator when you polarized it?

If not, that would have damaged the regulator.

Even if you did disconnect it good chance the new regulator was bad or miss boxed. Might open it up and see what happened. Try cleaning the contacts, sometimes new contacts are coated with anti corrosion treatment that can insulate the connection. The smoke may have only been a resistor heating up. Clean them with contact cleaner and paper, don't sand them.

I'm hearing rumors about electronic regulators on the market, but haven't checked on one, that might be worth looking into. Nothing wrong with generators, it's the bad quality cheap made regulators that give the problems, bad out of the box and short lived.

Dave Branham
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2110 3 cyl gas electric trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First, Thank You. Well I called costumer service to make sure before I started it and said I needed advice so this exact thing wouldnt happen. It was a complicated conversation. I said I had the 6 terminal regulator and a new harness. After confirming the terminal labeled F was the field and Batt was of course the battery, he just said that after I hook up the battery and before I start it remove the F wire and touch it to the Batt terminal. But your saying I should have fully disconnect all the terminals then touch the F to the Batt? Im just trying to be through so I can understand.

And if I should try another regulator before I drop the money on an alternator conversion, Is there a good brand? Man, so much stuff has turned to junk anymore, I miss America.

I really appreciate the help. Ive been trying to read whatever I can.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2110 3 cyl gas electric trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dave Branham wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:15:00 09/11/21) First, Thank You. Well I called costumer service to make sure before I started it and said I needed advice so this exact thing wouldnt happen. It was a complicated conversation. I said I had the 6 terminal regulator and a new harness. After confirming the terminal labeled F was the field and Batt was of course the battery, he just said that after I hook up the battery and before I start it remove the F wire and touch it to the Batt terminal. But your saying I should have fully disconnect all the terminals then touch the F to the Batt? Im just trying to be through so I can understand.

And if I should try another regulator before I drop the money on an alternator conversion, Is there a good brand? Man, so much stuff has turned to junk anymore, I miss America.

I really appreciate the help. Ive been trying to read whatever I can.
other wires connected is fine. All you want to avoid is connecting battery voltage to the VR Field terminal. Apply battery voltage only to the generator Field terminal.

Dave Branham
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2110 3 cyl gas electric trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank You Sir

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters