Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Bob takes a swim

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuhnc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Bob takes a swim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mowing around my pond, and Bob feels he has been worked too hard today. Midway through the process of persuading him to get out of the pool. One thing I did NOT remember to do, prior to starting the persuasion, is putting his transmission in neutral. Once I remembered to do that, he was less reluctant to get out. It also helps to have a big oak tree nearby.
Tie-down chains and a 1-ton chain fall.
A bit of rain the last few days, and the banks slightly (!) soft. In up to his belly, like a cow.

stevob671
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob takes a swim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

...and another good reason for a second tractor!

Clifford B.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob takes a swim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wooopsie................. Laughing

timbertime2
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob takes a swim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hope Bob is OK. Why are his eyes rolled back?

zuhnc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob takes a swim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One is missing, and the other not connected. I mow where there is a lot of tree branches, and kept bending the dog legs. Turned them around, and branches don't get caught. I don't mow at night, anyway! And this way, he can keep at least one eye on me.
A second tractor would be nice. I mainly mow the pastures, and occasionally grade the driveway. Changing implements keeps me fit. Next use is to put the auger on it to replace some well-rotted out fence posts. Cedar, but over 30 years old and quite loose. I did install a down-force device on the auger, so makes drilling the holes easier. Still, lots of rock here, and the auger drifts off. Some hand work with the post hole digger to clean up the bore.

Mad Farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob takes a swim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got my 9N well stuck last Wednesday. Parts of one field I've not been able to cut all summer due to so much rain. We got 14 inches in July, 9 more since then.

I was out brush hogging and trying to skirt the soggy area. Once the rear wheels broke through the sod the mower got hung up.

I disconnected the mower and almost got out, then just dug down deeper. No trees close by and no 2nd tractor or 4wd truck.

I was lucky the neighbor was home. His tractor was at a jobsite but he got me out with his 1-ton FWD PU using 3 lengths of logging chains WE dragged out the mower too. Glad I got it out, we got 2" more rain that night.

Didn't cell phone handy to get some pictures.

Mad Farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob takes a swim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

While we are on the subject being stuck and getting unstuck, what is the preferred place to hook up to tow from the front?

My N does not have the front bumper, so I took a logging chain and secured each end on the outer of the front axle near the spindles. This made a loop that I hooked another chain to do the pulling.

hunkydory
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob takes a swim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm laughing with you. Laughing Stuck many times; chain falls and come-a-longs are really handy when you need them. Smile

zuhnc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob takes a swim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. I am sure there are many great stories about getting stuck. I do know that Bob was at about 30 degrees or so, in the pond, but didn't feel like he was going to tip over.
With that dubious knowledge, I mowed one of the hills in one of my pastures, by going along the side of the hill, instead of up or down. Probably 20* angle or so. A little pucker factor, but never felt as if it was getting light on the up-hill side. Grass was dry; no rain for about a week, so that helped. About 60" wheel spacing, front and rear.
I am staying away from the pond edges; going to use the weed wacker next to the water.
One of these days this winter, I will probably take him to the optometrest for a checkup and new glasses! zuhnc

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters