Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1953 JD 70

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn5644
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: 1953 JD 70 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1953 70 Gas tractor. It spent the last 10 years in a barn because the wheels were rotten. I replace the wheels and on the first trip out of the barn to my place the tractor had an pop sound and big cloud of smoke. Found out it pushed the valve cover off and started leaking oil. I noticed the oil had gas in it wich is what I thought the issue was. I have since changed all the oils, points, condensor, and plugs. I had it out for a parade this weekend roaded it to the parade. It ran great all the way there and through the parade. on my way back slowing down to stop the exact same thing happened. I checked the oil but did not notice any gas in it this time.Just trying to figure out what could be cauing this. The vent tube is clear.

Mike N Mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 JD 70 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your tractor still has the origional equipment oil activated fuel shutoff on it, I'd suspect that the diaphragm is bad/leaking. Gas will leak through the fuel shutoff through the oil line to the crankcase.

Shawn5644
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 JD 70 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine has the manual shutoff. I shut the valve wait for it run out of gas and then turn the ignition off. I was wondering if the needle could be stuck and allowing the carb to over fill. but I would think it would run bad.

Dan in Ohio
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 JD 70 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you checked the oil bath air filter? Check the tube that pulls air into it also, may have to pull the front sheet metal. You
would be surprised what you will find in that oil bath when they sit for any length of time.

susandiane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 JD 70 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You've got classic gas-in-the-oil-exploding-when-it's-hot-enough. On the lettered series, it would blow off the clutch cover with a ball of fire. On the numbered series, it blows off the valve cover since the clutch
is no longer open to the crankcase. The 2nd time, all the gas vaporized and went out through the cover. Side note: Some radial aircraft engines used in cold climates had a gasoline dilution system to thin the 90 W
engine oil for starting. They then idled for several minutes to evaporate all the gas and vent it through the oil tank. Not the best idea ever, but in a war you do what it takes to get on with it.

Shawn5644
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 JD 70 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you. I figured somebody would have had to run into this. I pulled it apart today and noticed the carb had gas in it again. The manual fuel shutoff must not be closing all the way. I just wanted to get to the bottom of this and make sure it wasn't something I was doing. Not a hard job to fix the valve cover gasket. Just don't want to have to do it every time I run the tractor LOL.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters